Making a Game in T-SQL

• Hi All,

I have been looking to challenge myself in T-SQL of the last few days. As a result I have been searching the net to see if anyone has tried to make a game using only T-SQL seeing as though T-SQL is not supposed to be used for this type of coding!

I have come across a few attempts most of which don't work and others that are fairly simple.

I have a made a version of Battleships on my machine which my Dev team seem to find very fun. I'll post it in a few days after I see what people have to say!

So I guess I what I am trying to say is that I challenge all of you brilliant coders out there to try and make a fun T-SQL based game!!!!

Anyone up for it?

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • Several years ago I created pente (game of  'go') and a rogue like game (SP based) is SQL 7.0.

Using SQL to create a game was a lot of fun and it did make me look really busy - all the time... Just don't make the mistake I did, and tell some other developer about the game. Boss's have a tendency to frown upon game creation during business hours.

In short if you really want to challenge yourself start creating processes that can monitor 50 - 60 servers from a central point, and deliver the data to an internal DBA web page. I just finished Building several processes that monitor backups, backup exceptions, job successes/failures, Disk utilization, web traffic, hit counts ... and delivers everything to an internal DBA page. Most of the processes I create other people have done (and possibly better then I could) but it is great practice, and a real 'eye opener' to SQL server and internal processes and objects 

The second edition to the above idea is to build scripts that can diagnose a particular problems or even tell you when certain problems are probably going to pop up. IE: x server is having minor delays in response times - build a script to gather data to tell you the basics as to why it's having issues.

Just a thought

Steve

• Suduko solver may be for you!

A SqlServerCentral article a last year was a walk-through for creating a Suduko solver. I was/am a sudoko nut so instead of using theirs made my own. I would recommend the practice/coding challenge highly. I spent a good number of hours on this project and made a web front end just because I could.

daryl

• If you really want a challenge in the best game of all... help some people out on posts in this forum.   Or, write an article about something near and dear to your heart in SQL Server and submit it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply