Management Studio Performance Issue

• I'm finally getting my feet wet with my first 2005 configuration by setting up  an install that will be in production soon.  Immediately after the servers were turned over to me, I noticed a huge difference in the amount of time it takes to load the Mgt. Studio on the server as compared to my XP client workstations.

Loading from an XP workstation, it comes up in several seconds, but attemtping to load from any of 3 Windows 2003 servers it can take up to 2 minutes before you get to a connection window.  The dedicated servers are shiny new HP G5 380's, smoking fast with plenty of RAM and not running any other apps.  Can anyone explain why it takes so long to open Mgt. Studio on my servers?  I wouldn't be concerned if it was a few seconds, but I would think the servers would load much more quickly than the client.  Instead the exact opposite is true.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or if anyone else has experienced this and cares to explain it. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• You can actually disable the splash screen by right clicking on the Management Studio under your programs -> SQL Server 2005 -> Mgmt Studio and add ".... -nosplash" at the end in the target.

Dinakar Nethi
    Life is short. Enjoy it.

• Thanks but even with the spash disabled, Management Studio takes 97 seconds to load running at the 2003 server console.  It takes 3 seconds from an XP workstation.  This can't be normal. 

• Hi there

When you open Management Studio it trys to connect to the internet to check certificates. If you have internet access disabled on your servers like we do then it'll take ages to timeout compared to a workstation that has access. We have disabled the "check for publishers certificate revocation" option in IE - Options Advanced tab on our servers and it's worked for us. The microsoft explanation can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dotnet.security&tid=6026b649-dc06-4ca0-8ac1-0cc05de6a38a&p=1

Hope this helps.

•   That worked perfectly.  Thank you very much for your reply.  I was beginning to suspect that there was something wrong with the installs. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply