Management Studio Tweaks

• I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to increase the listing size of recently used DB's in the connection dialog?

For instance, when opening a connection, SQLMS only lists about 10 recent connections in the drop down lost. however, i routinely connect to over 20 instances a day, and it gets very tiring having to connect any other way.

• I dont know of any setting but you could create an alias name for each of your connections. The alias can be much shorter and easier to type.

You can create alias using the configuration manager.

• Why don't you setup all your instances as registered servers within SSMS, double clicking on a registered server opens it in object explorer and connects.

• I do have them setup as registered servers. However, i do not necessarily want to connect in object explorer each time.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to increase the size of the recent servers list.

• Hi -I'm the Program Manager in charge of this feature for SQL Server. This is coded in, but I wouldn’t recommend changing it even in the registry. I’m looking at the entire connection dialog method for some changes, and I may break the reg hack if you did it. If you want to “keep” multiple connections, use the “Registered Servers” feature, or create a Project and add the connections there.

If the desire is to start up with various connections rather than waiting until you can connect to a registered server, use this command, either at the command line or by creating a shortcut with the following text:

Sqlwb.exe –S ServerName

You could also jump right to a database this way like this:

Sqlwb.exe –S ServerName –d DatabaseName

Remember, case matters.

Buck Woody

Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server

http://buckwoody.com

http://blogs.msdn.com/buckwoody

Buck Woody
    MCDBA, MCSE, Novell and Sun Certified

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply