Managers!!!

• I am fighting a battle with a manager on how much time it tkes to manage SQL Server. He says it takes 20 hours per year per SQL Server. No matter what I say he does not get the fact that each database and project is different.

I have 52 production and test SQL Servers with a total of 197 databases.

So now i must track time for each server, database and task I do. So I guess in my free time (during my sleep or when I should be playing with my daughters) I need to create a simple database to track this. I might just make a quick access database that I can keep on my laptop and print him off #$!# reports.   I could get real detailed with this and swamp him with data!

No question, just blowing off steam to people that actually work with database.

Sorry for the venting.

Stacey W. A. Gregerson

• Hmmm, I could see a nice SQL profiler task happening for each server logging all actions carried out under your user id... Should thicken the swamp nicely!

• Find another job and pass him the management of the Servers.

Did he explain the process by which he arrived at this ?

and what are you supposed to do with the unallocated hours per year?  I suspect you have an attack of the bean counters where everything has to be costed.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• May God help you

I too hate hate that kind of bosses who do not know what you are dialing with all the time.

By the way I can suggest you to use MS MOM utility. It monitors all SQL Servers and notifies you when someting goes wrong. But you still need to persuade you manager to understand the DBA job!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply