Mapping Oracle v$ performance views to SQL server dynamic management views

• We are porting an application that uses oracle performance views (v$ views) for gathering metrics to SQL Server. The new application will make use of SQL Server dynamic management views to collect those metrics. However there are some metrics that are causing some problem.

1. Does SQL server stores instance level metrics similar to the way it stores session level metrics in sys.dm_exec_sessions and request level metrics in sys.dm_exec_requests?

2. What are the alternatives for the following metrics from oracle v$sesstat/v$sysstat view.

a. parse time cpu

b. parse count (hard)

c. parse count (total)

d. physical reads direct

e. physical reads direct (lob)

RAC metrics (for equivalent SQL Server failover clusters).

f. ges messages sent

g. gcs messages sent

h. gc current blocks received

i. gc current blocks served

j. gc cr blocks received

k. gc cr blocks served

l. gc cr block receive time

m. gc cr block send time

n. gc current block receive time

o. gc current block send time

Regards

Nabeel Mukhtar

• [font="Verdana"]Good luck! The performance views between the two systems reflect very different architectures. You may be better thinking about what you specifically want to see from SQL Server, and starting from there, rather than assuming you just want to see the same stuff you saw from Oracle.[/font]

• I assume that we will not be able to get the RAC metrics from SQL Server because in SQL Server failover clusters, two nodes do not communicate with each other except for sending heartbeats (is it right?).

However I may still be able to get or compute the parsing related metrics from SQL server somehow. Is there any wayto find the parsing time of a query in SQL server and the total parse count etc.

Regards

Nabeel Mukhtar

• nabeelmukhtar (2/17/2009)

I assume that we will not be able to get the RAC metrics from SQL Server because in SQL Server failover clusters, two nodes do not communicate with each other except for sending heartbeats (is it right?).

However I may still be able to get or compute the parsing related metrics from SQL server somehow. Is there any wayto find the parsing time of a query in SQL server and the total parse count etc.

Regards

Nabeel Mukhtar

[font="Verdana"]Start with the SQL Server Performance Counters from SQL Server Books Online. Hopefully something comparible is in there.

A good way I have found with playing with this stuff is to fire up the Windows Performance Monitor tool, and just have a look at the counters that are offered and the kind of results you get back.

[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply