Masking Tools

• Any recommendations? I acquired ApexSQL Mask and it's pretty self-explanatory and seems like a decent enough tool if you have a well-formed, well-normalized database. Unfortunately, the application we run is 3rd party and the database structure defies most sensibilities. I also have a little bit of experience with Dataguise... also ineffective for ill-formed databases.

The most common shortcoming that I'm seeing is cross-table consistency. If 'Joseph' becomes 'Steven' in one table, I want any occurrence of 'Joseph' in any other tables to also become 'Steven'. Our database uses names as keys, addresses as keys, phone numbers, etc. For the most part there are not physical foreign keys - the application just manages it implicitly. Over 1/2 the tables don't even have a PK defined. I don't expect any tool to be able to analyze all that out on its own, but I do need to be able to define those "relationships" somehow and achieve the same level of relational integrity as if there were FK's.

• I haven't used it for awhile but RedGate's Data Masker tool has custom rules you can create for to address these type of issues. Seems like it might work from what you describe. You can download a free trial and see if it meets your needs: Data Masker

Sue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply