Master database corruption

• it did work.

i restored master onto another instance called the db "Newone" and it created the files

newone.mdf

newone_1.ldf

i then detached the db after restoring it and copied the disk files to the corrupt instance folder. I renamed each file to

master.mdf

mastlog.ldf

and the instance restarts. I am able to open master and view objects

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• That was good work even I was rolling my sleves up to do the same in sometime as I am at work cant imagine corrupting anything?

Thanks for that, so is it going to be the same even if we restore on a diffferent sever as well. How did you corrupt your master database using a hex editor?

• Achtang (4/2/2009)

That was good work even I was rolling my sleves up to do the same in sometime as I am at work cant imagine corrupting anything?

Thanks for that, so is it going to be the same even if we restore on a diffferent sever as well. How did you corrupt your master database using a hex editor?

the databases would need to be from a sql instance that is the same build as the currput instance (i.e. all the same hotfixes, service packs, etc) otherwise it may fail.

To corrupt your database just use XVI32 Hex editor 😉

open up the mdf file and in the first few blocks just insert a text string or something that'll hose it for sure 😎

The attached screenshot should help

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• the databases would need to be from a sql instance that is the same build as the currput instance (i.e. all the same hotfixes, service packs, etc) otherwise it may fail.

True! Yes, even if you have another production server, you can restore the master backups to rename them ->copy it over to the corrupted server->rename the copied files again as master.mdf and masterlog.mdf and restart the server.......MAGIC!!!!!

That's the right way isn't it?

thanks a lot for all this Perry, you have cleared a doubt that has been going through in my mind sometime

• Hi Achtang,

Again you have to restore the new master with your master backup file otherwise it wont read your user databases it will all greyed as ur new master have information about the db's on the other server.

• Ratheesh.K.Nair (6/18/2012)

Hi Achtang,

Again you have to restore the new master with your master backup file otherwise it wont read your user databases it will all greyed as ur new master have information about the db's on the other server.

Dude this thread is 3 years old 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply