master DB

• how to restore master database?

• Dhirju (12/22/2011)

how to restore master database?

Is it for knowledge update or you are having a serious issues with Master DB?

• Dhirju (12/22/2011)

how to restore master database?

Ensure you restore the model and MSDB too.

Do you have any experience of starting\operating SQL Server in single user mode?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• A little tip: I create a file copy of the master database. If the master database should be so corrupt that SQL Server cannot start, I use this file copy backup instead of rebuilding the system databases. This is only for the rare cases where SQL Server won't start, and If used I still need to restore the latest backup.

Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - Facebook - Twitter

Concatenating Row Values in Transact-SQL[/url]

• okbangas (12/22/2011)

A little tip: I create a file copy of the master database. If the master database should be so corrupt that SQL Server cannot start, I use this file copy backup instead of rebuilding the system databases. This is only for the rare cases where SQL Server won't start, and If used I still need to restore the latest backup.

If you do that regularly, that can work. Otherwise, if you make updates to master (new logins), then this doesn't help.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/22/2011)

okbangas (12/22/2011)

A little tip: I create a file copy of the master database. If the master database should be so corrupt that SQL Server cannot start, I use this file copy backup instead of rebuilding the system databases. This is only for the rare cases where SQL Server won't start, and If used I still need to restore the latest backup.

If you do that regularly, that can work. Otherwise, if you make updates to master (new logins), then this doesn't help.

It can help a bit.

Replace the damaged file with the older one, then start SQL in single user mode and restore the backup of master. Still easier than rebuilding the system DBs (which does all of them) and then restoring backups.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Exactly Gail 🙂

• p.s. And do the same thing with Model. It's an absolute pain if that one gets damaged, I haven't yet found a way to restore that without first rebuilding all the system databases otherwise. (single user mode requires recovering TempDB, which fails if model is damaged which causes SQL to shut down. A traceflag lets SQL start without recovering TempDB, but starting a restore recovers TempDB, which requires model, which causes SQL to shut down if it's damaged. Catch-22 anyone?)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks for the tip Gail, adding it to my checklist 🙂

• Dev. it is only for my knowledge.

• Then see the links that Salum posted

Gail Shaw

• Dhirju (12/23/2011)

Dev. it is only for my knowledge.

Good to know that you are preparing yourself for worst database scenarios (DBA’s nightmares :w00t:).

Best of Luck!

• Thanks 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply