Master Restore with SQL Litespeed

• I'm looking into SQL backup compression utilities to use against both SQL 7 and 2000 databases. Litespeed has good write-ups (although it's slightly expensive) and I have the evaluation version installed. I noticed the following in the help file:

"The master database can only be restored from a backup created on an instance of SQL Server 2000. Restore of master database backups which were made on SQL Server version 7.0 or earlier is not supported."

Is this right? Can I not do backups/restores of SQL7 master databases using Litespeed? Doesn't sound right to me.....

cheers

• If you are looking for a more cost effective solution I would check SQLSafe from Idera software. Litespeed is obviously the defacto standard but can be cost prohibitive in larger installations, especially if you have Sarbanes Oxley to worry about.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Thanks, I'll download and try it. I'm still interested to know about the master restore limitation of Litespeed though......

• Hi Beath,

I have used litespeed for a master restore. What the documentation means is that the master backup if taken from an instance of 2000 cannot be restored on to a Sql Server 7 instance.

Regards,

Keith.

•  

Hi Beath,

I have used litespeed for a master restore. What the documentation means is that the master backup if taken from an instance of 2000 cannot be restored on to a Sql Server 7 instance.

Regards,

Raj

• Please bear in mind that there are different scenarios where you might need to restore the master database

possible scenes are :

when only the master database is damaged and your model and msdb are fine.

When you have to rebuild all the system databases.

What is the DR scenario that you are replaying?? Send me a email at rajeshkadbet@hotmail.com.

Cheers,

Raj.

• Hi Beath,

Heres the spin:

If your master data and log files are corrupt or lost:

• you then run the rebuild master utility.
    • point the utility to the original SQL Server install cds.
    • Then recreate the master.
    • Then you need to recreate all your logins (including sa / trusted logins) depending on your sql server authentication policies.
    • Then you can start the restore from your backup at the command line.

The scenario above is a tricky one.

• The other restore is where you just start the sql server in a plain old single user mode only to stop other users from connecting to it.
    • Then you can just start a restore from your most current master backup.

Please post your finding here on this site so I know how you went.

Regards,

Raj.

• you can always try emailing litespeed support and ask this presales question to see what they have to say about sql server 7 restore.

We have used the product and their pre-sales support is pretty helpful.

• Thanks for that. Our DR involves rebuilding servers for scratch, hence to the need to restore master, then msdb, then user databases.

I'll be teting out a SQL 7 master Litespeed restore later today.

cheers

• I want to express the opinion that the best way, by far, to backup and restore master is to copy the master.mdf and maslog.ldf files.  Either buy a product that will copy open files(Veritas, Double Image, etc.) or shutdown the server to copy the files, if this is acceptable in your environment.

When you have to restore, all you have to do is copy the backups of master.mdf and mastlog.ldf into the correct directory and you are ready to go.

No single user mode, no master rebuild. It is simple and it works!

I have not seen this solution put forth and am interested in other peoples experiences and opinions.

• I wouldn't use any of the open file or backup software sql agent programs. They backup great, problem is the restore.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• I've done the copy master.mdf several times and recommend that.  Any time the network admin guys are doing any hardware work on the SQL Servers, I shut down SQL and copy all of the system db's to a safe place before they start work. 

I know that ArcServe's SQL Agent that "backs up open SQL files" really just does a real SQL backup to tape, it doesn't acutally back up the file.  I have it on one server and found it much more difficult to figure out how to do normal tasks that are easy with native SQL or LiteSpeed restores.   When we first installed the Arcserve SQL agent, I tried to restore a database to a different name and file location (with move) and could never get it to work.

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply