maximizing sql server memory usage

• Hello,

We currently have the following configuration for one of the virtualized sql server I inherited.

SQL server:

version: 2005

edition : enterprise

32 bit

Operating system:

version: windows sql server 2003

edition : standard

32 bit

Virtual host:

version: windows server 2003

edition: enterprise

64 bit

It is AWE enabled and Total server memory and target server memory counters show 3GB memory.

Is there any way fo sql server to see another GB of memory?

Thanks,

Nikki

• With Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition you only can use 4GB of RAM. The AWE Option doesnยดt change anything here. By using the /3GB Switch you will have 3GB Virtual Memory + 1GB Kernel Memory. That means a maximum of 3GB for SQL Server.

Sorry, you should change your Windows Edition to get more GB of RAM.

• SQL Server 2005 Standard & Enterprise Edition supports Operating system Maximum RAM.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Thanks everyone for the reply.

I knew that this is the best I can do with the current set up but wanted to confirm.

I just feel bad that all our Enterprise license are a total waste of money as they all have been installed on standard OS and really not taking advantage of any sql server enterprise version features especially memory.

Oh well ! Things for me to improve.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nikki

• Nikki-395727 (3/2/2010)

Thanks everyone for the reply.

I knew that this is the best I can do with the current set up but wanted to confirm.

I just feel bad that all our Enterprise license are a total waste of money as they all have been installed on standard OS and really not taking advantage of any sql server enterprise version features especially memory.

Oh well ! Things for me to improve.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nikki

It's not a total waste if you use things like partitioned tables, indexed views, or some of the more advanced features of SSAS or some of the advanced "transforms" in SSIS or "Online" reindexing, etc, etc, etc.

See the following for feature comparisons between editions. Don't cut the Enterprise edition short just because of the OS. ๐Ÿ˜‰

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/compare-features.aspx

I'm no expert at memory configuration on "short" OS's, but there are a number of articles and posts on GOOGLE that talk about using combination of /3GB, /AWE, and /PAE to get the Enterprise Edition to use more available memory. Might be worth a bit of deep diving on your part.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I would check to see if the VM is limiting memory of the machine.

If you can't get more than 3GB allocated to the VM, turn off /3GB and/or AWE if enabled and restrict SQL Server to 2GB of ram max.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply