Maximum number of values allowed in the parameters drop down

• Can anyone let me know the Maximum number of values allowed in the parameters drop down in ssrs r2 report.........I have a parameters list of 624,000 is that possible.....

Thanks in advance

• I don't know, I'm sorry. But do you expect the user to scroll down to number 614275?

I'm sure the limit is high enough not to hinder the user experience but low enough not to hinder the user experience.

You should perhaps try grouping the items and use cascading parameters.

• for any browser to try and create/render a drop down menu (html <select>)

with 600K objects, i'd figure you are looking at a render time in minutes; closer to 10 minutes depedning on the complexity of the report.

performance will be so poor users will definitely complain.

what's worse, if you looked at it from the SQL side, it might says something like 10 seconds to get the data to the client, which might seem a little long but acceptable, but for the browser to build something viewable, it takes a long time...not to mention the poor users that don't have a developer level machine like mine with 8 gig of ram.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• it's possible,i tried its working.

• sambireddy chirra (2/21/2012)

it's possible,i tried its working.

I call shenanigans.

If you tried it, you'd report the same performance hit I was talking about.

Performance on a page like this sucks., and it's trivial to prove it.

here's a super simple proof of concept:

create just an html page with a drop down menu with 640,000 items in it, and then try to open it in a browser.

i've done exactly that with this page here as an example.

my results: it takes about 6 seconds for the page to begin to render, and it takes 44 seconds total before the browser finishes building the full list of options and completes loading the page:

Note this page doesn't even have to go to the sql server, it's all static html.

Page_With_Oversized_DropDownExample.html

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply