MCTS and next step

• Having been doing this whole DBA thing for 7 or 8 years now I figured I should go and get myself certified, so this year I went and got myself an MCTS 2005 with an aim to getting my MCITP 2005 in the new year, having scheduled the next exam in February.

With the 2008 exams being released should I nix the continuation of the 2005 track and start fresh on the 2008 one?

I don't know that there is a huge leap between the two, and would like to get slightly ahead of the curve, and will be deploying 2008 (a jump from 2000) in a couple of months.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• You've got two options to get the 2008 exams.

Finish your 2005 ITP (2 exams) and then write an upgrade exam to get both the MCTS (Implementing and Maintaining) and the MCITP (database admin) for 2008, or you can abandon the 2005 and write the 2008 exams from scratch. There's 1 exam for MCTS and 1 exam for MCITP.

From the exam page:

How to earn your MCITP certification on SQL Server 2008

To achieve any of the MCITP certifications on SQL Server 2008, you must pass one exam. In addition, you must earn the corresponding MCTS: SQL Server 2008 credential, as shown in the following table.

Upgrade options

If you hold an MCITP credential on SQL Server 2005, you can follow a simple upgrade path to earn your MCITP on SQL Server 2008. If you pass the upgrade exam that is listed in the following table, you will earn the relevant MCITP certification as well as the required MCTS certifications.

For example, if you hold the MCITP: Database Administrator certification on SQL Server 2005 and pass Exam 70-453: Upgrade: Transition your MCITP Database Administrator Skills to MCITP Database Administrator 2008 exam, you will earn both the MCITP: Database Administrator 2008 and MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance credentials with a single exam.

Do you think there's value in having the 2005 certs? If not, go straight for the 2008 ones.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • There's always value, I just felt that maybe I should look forward. Just felt bad about throwing away the old MCTS :laugh:

• Up to you. There's only a difference of 1 exam (and, of course, all the studying needed).

2 exams to get ITP (2005) and then 1 to get both TS and ITP on 2008

or

1 exam to get TS (2008) and another to get ITP (2008)

I've written the beta of the 2008 ITP (Admin) exam. It's not difficult if you know 2005 well and have read up on the new features.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I was going to take it at PASS, figuring I could always take it again for free in the new year if I messed up, however 6pm apparently doesn't mean 6pm in Prometric time :rolleyes:

• Hi All,

I am preparing for MCTS SQL 2008.

Please inform me, how can I take beta exam of 70-432 MCTS SQL 2008.

or

Is there any online practise test available for this paper before I am going to attend real one.

BR,

Parthi

• Parthipan (1/27/2009)

Please inform me, how can I take beta exam of 70-432 MCTS SQL 2008.

All of the 2008 exams are out of beta. Hence there's no way for you to take the beta exam

Is there any online practise test available for this paper before I am going to attend real one.

You can buy the measureup or Transcender practive exams. They're not cheap. I believe the self-paced training kit from MS press has sample questions on the CD. Beware of free online 'sample exams' they're often wrong, often illegal.

Gail Shaw

• Gail Shaw,

Thanks alot for your information and suggestion..

Cheers,

Parthi

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply