MCTS to MCSA - 2008 or 2012?

• Hi all, I'm after some advice if I may?

After passing my SQL Server MCTS (imp & maint) late last year, Microsoft have decided to 'retire' the next two exams I need to do (SQL Server 2008 DB Dev and SQL Server 2008 BI, Dev & Maintenance) at the end of July this year due to the release of SQL Server 2012.

Now, my way of thinking says that I should continue with my original development plan and do the two certifications for SQL 2008 (that are due for retirement in July 2013) and then do the SQL Server 2012 exams (#457 & #458) to achieve my transition to a MCSA.

All of the SQL DB's I work with are 2008 and 2008 R2 and my primary goal is to integrate more development work into my role as sole DBA in my company (this is the way my company would prefer it as well luckily!).

I'd be interested in peoples opinions (or to hear from people who have done the transition exams) as to whether sitting the transition exams for SQL Server 2012 would actually be worth it bearing in mind that alot of people shy away from upgrading DB versions until they've been in production for at least a year to a year and a half?

Cheers, M

MCITP
    MCTS - E-Business Card
    Twitter: WWDMark

Try not! Do or do not, there is no try

email: info@weekendwebdesign.co.uk
    Personal Website: http://markallen.co.uk/
    Business Website: https://www.weekendwebdesign.co.uk

• If you solely work with 2008, then I'd say get the 2008 certs. That way your experience will back up the certs. You can always upgrade them later

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • WWDMark, do you decide what to do in the end?

I have a related question, so I hope it's ok to put it here My manager is about to leave, and is being a bit free and easy with the budgets, so there's a small chance I could get some training paid for (this is quite rare here). We currently use 2008R2, but there are vague plans to move to 2012 'one day' (that's as specific as it gets here).

I'm looking at an MCSA all-inclusive bundle that has two routes, one of which is to take 'any MCTS in SQL Server', of which there seem to be three;

- SQL Server 2008 Database Development

- SQL Server 2008 Implementation and Maintenance I'd probably prefer to do this one

- SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance

and then take exams 457 and 458 to 'transition' it to a 2012 MCSA; have I understood that correctly?

The other route is to take courses 10774, 10775 and 10777, and their related exams. These are all 2012 courses, and what I can't find anywhere yet is whether they assume any prior knowledge of 2012 or not (because I don't have any).

I know it's a bit 'how long is a piece of string?', but is one route likely to be better than the other? I'm aware that certification is a bit of a hot topic, but at the moment I'm going to take any chance at training I can get because I really want to learn as much as possible.

Thanks, and I hope this isn't a massive hijack :-).

• I am in a similar situation after passing the 70-432 implementation and Maint. We use sql 2008 but im not doing much Dev work. Im opting to upgrade via the 457, 458 path as i feel if your exams are current you may be desirable to both your current employer (who knows they wish to upgrade their systems to 2012 at some point) and future employers if you perhaps look for another job. I always think you cant beat actually working with the product and as you've already got a job working with sql2008 you probably have good knowledge and dont need to prove anything anyway - just read the material if you feel it will help you in your current job and save yourslef money on 2 exams that will be retired - youve also got the pressure of passing them before they retire which can be stressful !

I'd go down the 2012 route as I reckon that if companies are not using it now, then they certainly will be in the next few years.

What ever you choose - good luck 🙂

• Thanks very much. I've been reading the Certification board avidly too, and the consensus seems to be to go for the newest qualification. I have the fee Kindle version of Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 so I'm going to read that as well, and see what I'm letting myself in for.

Good luck for whenever you take your upgrade exams!

• Beatrix Kiddo (8/15/2013)

WWDMark, do you decide what to do in the end?

I have a related question, so I hope it's ok to put it here My manager is about to leave, and is being a bit free and easy with the budgets, so there's a small chance I could get some training paid for (this is quite rare here). We currently use 2008R2, but there are vague plans to move to 2012 'one day' (that's as specific as it gets here).

I'm looking at an MCSA all-inclusive bundle that has two routes, one of which is to take 'any MCTS in SQL Server', of which there seem to be three;

- SQL Server 2008 Database Development

- SQL Server 2008 Implementation and Maintenance I'd probably prefer to do this one

- SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance

and then take exams 457 and 458 to 'transition' it to a 2012 MCSA; have I understood that correctly?

The other route is to take courses 10774, 10775 and 10777, and their related exams. These are all 2012 courses, and what I can't find anywhere yet is whether they assume any prior knowledge of 2012 or not (because I don't have any).

I know it's a bit 'how long is a piece of string?', but is one route likely to be better than the other? I'm aware that certification is a bit of a hot topic, but at the moment I'm going to take any chance at training I can get because I really want to learn as much as possible.

Thanks, and I hope this isn't a massive hijack :-).

Hi there, I actually took Gails advise and stuck with the 2008 certs. The reason being was that I attended a MS 'first look' session on SQL Server 2012 which looked at the enhancements and new features of 2012, I then put together a report specific to my companies database and app requirements and guess what? - we didn't need to upgrade to 2012 (this also took into consideration the slightly more complex licencing costs of SQL Server 2012 as well!). With this in mind I went on to study and pass my MCITP Database Administrator 2008 Cert by taking exam 70-450 and have been keeping on top of 2012 developments while studying for my 70-433 cert (2008 DB Dev) , after that I have planned to study for 70-448 (BI, Dev and Maint 2008) as it's more relevant to the version of SQL we're using now. We also had 'vague' plans to migrate to SQL 2012 but after my report and conclusions it was deemed an unnecessary expense for the time being bearing in mind we wouldn't effectively use the new features of 2012.

Personally I'd recommend that route but would also put together a training plan for your manager to sign-off on (seeing as they're in a generous mood!:-)) which includes 2012 upgrade exams for the future (include approximate timescales and study plans for each cert and equate it to the relevant database(s) you could apply it to to add weight to your case). Doing this will give you the best of both worlds and also demonstrate to your company that your committed (or should be committed!! :-D) to not only your own development but the development and well being of the companies data concerns.

I'm a great believer in 'practical application' so rather than upgrading something for the hell of it or simply because you think 'everyone else is' I tend to do a lot of research and testing to make sure it's 'fit for purpose' and we're going to get the most from it. I'd personally apply that philosophy to your situation.

Which ever way you go though, good luck. 😉

MCITP
    MCTS - E-Business Card

• Thanks for replying; that's very interesting. I do see the sense in what you're saying. Miraculously I've just had the go-ahead for a full MCSA programme (should have asked for MCSE- damnit :-D). I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. (The really great thing is nobody has mentioned tying me in to a notice period or anything...)

I also really agree with you about not upgrading 'for the sake of it'. I have more questions but perhaps I should put them in the 'Career' section.

Thanks

• I knew there was something else, sorry! If I do the MCTS then upgrade route (to MCSA SQL Server 2012) is it going to expire or something soon? (I promise I have looked this up, but opinions seem to differ).

Also, are some MCTSs 'easier' than others? I'm seeing 8 classroom days for SQL Server 2008 Database Development, but 13 for SQL Server 2008 Implementation and Maintenance. (edit: I've figured this one out now; the second one is the first one with another course added, so I suppose it is harder.)

• Beatrix Kiddo (8/15/2013)

Thanks for replying; that's very interesting. I do see the sense in what you're saying. Miraculously I've just had the go-ahead for a full MCSA programme (should have asked for MCSE- damnit :-D). I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. (The really great thing is nobody has mentioned tying me in to a notice period or anything...)

Nice one! 😀 It's like I say on my website "Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My advice: Just take it one step at a time, look at the skills measured and thoroughly research each of them. Look at SQL Server MVP and MCM blogs http://www.markallen-online.co.uk/Blogs.html, ask questions on the forum here and if you can set up a virtual lab environment at work or home then use that to practice, practice, practice! Theory is all well and good but in my opinion it's all about the doing. 😉

Beatrix Kiddo (8/15/2013)

I knew there was something else, sorry! If I do the MCTS then upgrade route (to MCSA SQL Server 2012) is it going to expire or something soon? (I promise I have looked this up, but opinions seem to differ).

This was something I was wondering when I first started the certification path. According to the MCP website it appears that the two SQL Server certifications below have been 'retired'

MCITP: Database Developer 2008

MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008

My 2008 MCTS and MCITP Certs don't have 'expiration' dates on them, basically it's a case that technology moves on and if you've got a MCITP cert for SQL Server 6.5(!) then you're a bit 'out of the loop' so best off updating to a more recent version!

MCITP
    MCTS - E-Business Card

• WWDMark (8/15/2013)

My 2008 MCTS and MCITP Certs don't have 'expiration' dates on them, basically it's a case that technology moves on and if you've got a MCITP cert for SQL Server 6.5(!) then you're a bit 'out of the loop' so best off updating to a more recent version!

That's helpful, thanks. I think I'm leaning towards this route (doing the 2008 MCTS and upgrading it to a 2012 MCSA) at the moment, but I keep vacillating. If I do this route I have to chose between SQL Server 2008 Implementation and Maintenance and SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance. I've already ruled out Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development. What to do! (Nice position to be in, actually :-).)

• Beatrix Kiddo (8/16/2013)

WWDMark (8/15/2013)

That's helpful, thanks. I think I'm leaning towards this route (doing the 2008 MCTS and upgrading it to a 2012 MCSA) at the moment, but I keep vacillating. If I do this route I have to chose between SQL Server 2008 Implementation and Maintenance and SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance. I've already ruled out Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development. What to do! (Nice position to be in, actually :-).)

It's a great position to be in! 🙂

I found Implementation and Maintenance to be very educational and would personally recommend doing that prior to BI, Dev and Maint but again this depends on how confident you are with SQL Server 2008 and it's features.

How long have you been a DBA and using SQL Server?

MCITP
    MCTS - E-Business Card

• I've been doing this in various guises for about 6 years, but I got into it via the accidental route. I've had some training courses through Learning Tree, but I feel like I need 'proper' instruction from the ground up because I've almost certainly developed bad habits etc.

Also, in my current job (which I WILL stop whining about one day!) there was a mass exodus right after I started, due to a very unpopular restructure, so I've been left all on my own to look after everything. I don't have any documentation or understanding of why things have been done the way they have (some very strange things have been done), and I want to overhaul everything. I was planning to do all that anyway, but with my boss being about to leave and the chance of some proper training coming up, I grabbed it. Just reading these boards shows me every single day just how much I still have to learn; it's pretty daunting!

I am lucky enough to be in a position where I have the freedom to do pretty much what I want when I want, but the flipside of that is that I have no colleagues to discuss things with and learn from, and that makes me second-guess my knowledge a bit. I need to get my head down and learn things properly so that I can move on from just keeping everything ticking over to actively improving things. (Well, that's the plan!)

• Improving things is always a good plan! 😀

I can sympathise with you as I'm the sole DBA for my company and with no mentor or guidance I had to map my own training and progression plan. It's paid off though and I'm now in a very good position.

One script that has saved me sooooooo much time and hassle and one I'd highly recommend is Brent Ozar's sp_Blitz script http://www.brentozar.com/blitz/. It's designed for when DBA's take over a server and need to get familiar with it asap and best of all.....it's free! It really is fantastic. I downloaded the Windows app version which enables you to simply type the name of a server, hit enter and away it goes, you don't need to install anything on your SQL Servers or mess around RDP'ing on to individual servers and executing the script...fantastic!

Good luck with it though and if you want to keep in touch or have any issues that I can help with I'm on twitter (@wwdmark).:-D

MCITP
    MCTS - E-Business Card

• That's brilliant; thank you so much!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply