Memory leak?

• SQL server will use as much as memory it was asigned, and will release some of the memory when OS calls. How to find out whether it is memory leak Since SQL server does not release memory?

• For us newbies, please describe the problem you are encountering.

TIA

GaryA

1. Are you allocating Dynamic Memory or Fixed memory Allocations ?
    2. Why do you assume you have a memory leak ?
    3. What version of MS SQL <including service packs>are you running?
    4. Is HTT (hyper threading) running?
    5. How much available memory (physical) is there?
    6. What is the Min and Max Memory Allocation Assigned?
    7. What "other Applications" are running on the server?
    8. What "other services" are running on the server?

We are all interested in assisting you in your issue but we gotta ask the simple stuff first..<Frank K.don't go Fistansie on me please>

Carpe Nox Noctum!

Jbabington
    Jbabington@hotmail.com

• We had major memory leak problems with SQL 7, but they magically went away when we upgraded to SQL 2K.

Dana

Dhoffman@CharterOak.edu

Dana
    Connecticut, USA
    Dana

• To be hornest with you, I do not have the performance degradation now, just curious, if the server performance is very bad, how to find out if it is caused by memory leak, what is the metrics. We have 2G RAM, 2 processors with SQL 2k standard edition, the server memory has been set dynamiclly to be managed.

• I've had instances where memory really never went back to the O/S even with it Dynamically configured. I had a monitoring tool in place showing the memory utilized but when no activity for quite awhile the memory utilization never really went back down. (or at least enough to consider it the way MS says!) This w/various SP's and SLQ versions.

• SQL Server is monster in dealing with Memory .. it is recommeded not to use any other programs with SQL Server.

or you must assign a Fixed Memmory

I hope this help u

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

• I aggree w/Alamir!!

• dbcc memorystatus will give you some clue. Pay special attention to the Dynamic memory manager section. I did have memory leak problem on SQL2K 2 years ago which was due to using OA_ object.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply