Memory Leak & monitoring

• Hi,

We run a Win2K server with SQL2000 SP4 running several large databases. I have noted that a memory leak has started that requires a reboot once a week.

Using perfmon i am monitoring the following :-

SQLServer:Memory Manager: Total Server Memory (KB) SQLServer:Memory Manager: Target Server Memory (KB

Could anyone let me know any better ways of monitoring the system to locate the cause of the leak?

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Nick

• Perhaps you could run a profiler trace for a day and then reexecute chunks of it several times it in a quiet time - might indicate which statements cause the leak.

Do you have any leftover connections to the DB server from "always on" applications? If so, each of these consumes memory on the server which will not be released. To see who's connected run sp_who2.

• Thanks, I'll run a trace for a day and review the results.

Regards,

Kindest Regards,

Nick

• El barto,

How do you know you are leaking memory?  Is there a specific message that receive?

jg

• Are you sure it is not MemToLeave memory?

I have seen lot of cases of MemToLeave memory only which requires a reboot to fix it...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• El Barto,

If you are having "unable to allocate contiguous memory of XXXXX" type messages in your SQL error log, this is an indication of the MemToLeave type of memory error.  This usually happens when you work with XML or the OA_ object manipulation procedures.

• if target memory is greater than total memory then this indicates your server is short on memory, not that you have a memory leak.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Just a thought. Are you using AWE? and if yes, have you applied the Post-sp4 AWE Hot fix?

• Hi,

Initially I thought the issue could be with AWE, until I noticed that the fix had been applied sometime ago.

We have just added additional memory to the server, and have restricted the amount of memory SQL server can use, once a server becomes available we will commence testing with SQL 2005.

Regard,

Elbarto 

Kindest Regards,

Nick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply