Memory leak with DTS

• Hi all,I hope that some can help with the following situation.I have a SQL 2000 server (sp3) on Windows 2000 server (sp4) that has recently developed a memory leak when running a DTS package. When ever a package is run the memory max out at 2 gig and doesn't come back down unless you stop and re-start the SQL server service. I couldn't see any hot fixes on the Microsoft site. Has any one come across this before or does any one have any pointers for the resolution.

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Are you sure this is a problem? It the DTS task moving a large amount of rows? Remember, SQL Server by default is setup to take as much memory as it deems it needs and release it ONLY when the server needs the memory for another task. If you are concerned about memory usage set a cap on how much memory SQL Server can use in Ent. Manager. SQL Server then must be restarted for it to take effect. Typically all of our SQL Servers take every bit of memory.

• Absolutly positive. It seems to affect any DTS package with various row counts (tens of rows to tens of thousands). We’ve stopped and re-started the SQL services on the server (to get the memory usage down with no luck) the only thing that will affect it is a re-boot. This is only a development server but the Production server runs the same jobs / packages with out the same effect – both have the same levels of service packs. If you watch the memory used by the production server it will increase whilst running the package then tail off.

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan

• I've now got the problem sorted - thanks for the input

• What was the resolution?

I'm interested to know.

• Help.....how was this issue fixed??????????????????????????

• Sorry for the delay in giving you this info.

The problem was caused by a Sybase ODBC driver which was used when the package was called. A search on microsoft found how to find what processes cause a memory leak and the driver was found to be the cause.

We now use an Access db on a pc to get the data we need and ftp to the SQL box. So we have a work round rather than an absolute fix.

Stuart

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply