Merge Replication Between 2 Servers

• Hi guys,

Interesting problem.

Have a SQL Server 6.5 db that I`ve been asked to replicate (due to the fact we want to point an application at a copy of a database coz that database goes up and down alot) well, seems ok, but this db has data inserted from both polling and user input from an application. The polling input can`t be moved to the new database, so basically it`s a case of data input being made into 2 databases. Due to this I can`t just copy the database, it would be a case for 2 way merge replication. I`ve never set that up before, but I guess I could sort it. However, the problem is, one server is SQL Server 6.5 (which can`t be upgraded) and one is SQL Server 7. So, basically can this sort of replication be done between 2 server versions. I think a DTS job could be run to do it, but thinking about it, that would probably be quite complex a job.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Andy.

• Never tried it. Be interesting to see! I'd agree that a DTS job is a fairly large undertaking and should be a last resort. You could set up transactional replication on each one and run bidirectionally. Takes some careful planning! Have you considered upgrading the 6.5 server to 7/2k and just running it is 6.5 compatibility mode?

Andy

• I have never done this myself but check out http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tp_replication.asp SQL Server Replication from 6.5 to 2000. The same method should work for 7.

• Thanks guys.

Thought about running a v7 server in 6.5 compatibility mode, but the application vendors didn`t like it.

Cheers tho.

Andy.

• Odds are the vendor will never know the difference. The little bit of work required to make the change is well worth it.

Andy

• I would have to agree there, plus even if they don't want I would still purpose anyway as there are far more advantages to SQL 7 or 2000 as far as scalability, performance and recoverability (which should be a highpoint for anyone with a clue about uptime, being sarcastic) than what you get with 6.5. Plus 7 and 2000 are still actively supported by Microsoft so bug fixes are far more likely.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply