Merge replication subscription - snapshot shortcut?

• We lost our local database on this subscriber and need to restore it and re-create the merge replication subscription.

Can a subscription to a merge replication use a copy of the snapshot from the publisher?

We have a merge replication infrastructure that is pretty large. (primary database is > 60GB)

I want to know if I grab the snapshot from the publisher directory, zip it up and copy it to the subscriber, can I create the merge subscription using the local snapshot directory on the subscriber?

Rather then wait the 20+ hours that is involved with the subscriber getting access to the 14.1GB snapshot over a T-1 network connection and then waiting for the attempt to synch, I would like to point it to a local snapshot, let things settle to the local server and then point it back to the publisher's snapshot.

Can this be done?

I'm willing to do unconventional steps to make this happen - fear of failure is not an issue. 🙂

Thanks!

• You could try to restore the DB and tell the snapshot agent not to initialize the data. That means no Snapshot. it works with transactional replication, But I dont know if it work with Merge.

-Roy

• Roy,

Thanks for the tip (been using no-initialize for transactional replication for quite a while) I do not know if it is an option for merge replication.

I know in the GUI when you establish a merge subscription you can specify a path to the snapshot location. What I had hoped to do was point it to a local copy of the snapshot and then change it back to the traditional location after the subscription had synched.

We restored from an old backup and just let merge replication catch up. No need to try this yet, but I plan on doing an experiment to see.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply