Merge Replication UniqueIdentfierColumn & Publisher downtime questions

• Hi,

I was looking at the merge replication installation steps and one of the steps puzzled me that stated  the "SQL server will add an uniqueidentifier column on the published tables that do not have one on the first snap shot is generated"  My question is by adding the additional the column to the published table will that break my store procedures and Applications?

My second question is that we have an automatic failover to have the User application direct to the Subscriber server when the Publisher is down. What about the Publisher is back up will the new data that were inserted in the Subscriber replicate back to the Publisher? If not, can this be done? Please advise.Thanks.

• Question1, will the added column break your application and/or procedures? it depends. If you use select * and your application can't handle the extra column it might break. Also INSERT commands without a column list will break.

Question 2 once the publisher comes back online and the merge agent is started all changes on the subscriber will be synchronized. So no reason to worry about this part.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• This is a proprietary software and how do I go about fixing the question 1 problem? Any ideas?

• I have another question for merge replicatio. Can I merge the entire database because I do not know what tables to merge?Is it ok to slect the entire database? Please advise. Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply