Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

• Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

The Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008 program provides the most in-depth and comprehensive training that is available today for Microsoft SQL Server 2008. This three-week training program is delivered by recognized experts from Microsoft and Microsoft Partner organizations.

Training deepens and broadens the technical skills of experienced database professionals

Microsoft Certified Master training—a mixture of presentations, white board discussions, and goal-based labs—covers the individual core SQL Server 2008 technologies as well as broader architectural and operational areas, such as high availability, storage, performance tuning, security, and disaster recovery. Candidates complete an independent lab exercise as a part of their training, which allows them to develop and apply their knowledge in an environment where instructor and peer support are readily available.

Certified individuals prove their technical mastery

Candidates who successfully complete the program can expect to have a greatly improved understanding of the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 platform. Microsoft Certified Masters can design and build customer-specified database solutions, and they understand how design decisions affect the final solution. They can troubleshoot and diagnose configuration and performance issues, and they have the detailed knowledge and skills that are required to successfully operate and manage an enterprise-class SQL Server 2008 infrastructure.

Prerequisites

---------------

Experience:

--------------

• A minimum of five years of experience with SQL Server 7.0 or later: installing, configuring, and troubleshooting

• A minimum of one year of experience with SQL Server 2005 or later: installing, configuring, and troubleshooting

• A thorough understanding of SQL Server design and architecture

• A thorough understanding of SQL Server core components and dependencies, such as OLTP, high availability, disaster recovery, performance tuning optimization, storage, security, manageability, and data distribution technologies

• Speak, understand, and write in fluent English

Successful completion of the following exams and certifications

---------------------------------------------------------------

• Exam 70-431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – Implementation and Maintenance

• Exam 70-441: PRO: Designing Database Solutions by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005

• Exam 70-442: PRO: Designing and Optimizing Data Access by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005

• Exam 70-443: PRO: Designing a Database Server Infrastructure by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005

• Exam 70-444: PRO: Optimizing and Maintaining a Database Administration Solution by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005

• Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Database Administrator

or

• Exam 70-431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – Implementation and Maintenance

• Exam 70-447: Upgrade: MCDBA Skills to MCITP Database Administrator by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005

This one look very promising to me, because of Prerequisites and needed years of Experience, which I hope will bring some value and recognition to this certs.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• It is interesting, but I don't see anywhere that they require for the certification. The prerequisites make some sense, but it needs to have some way to verify those items and test the skills.

• According to Microsoft:

Who should apply?

Qualified program candidates are highly skilled technical experts in their discipline with several years of experience designing, deploying, and managing solutions by using Microsoft technology. To be eligible for Master certification, the candidate must be a current Microsoft Certified Professional (with a Microsoft Certification ID) or an eligible Microsoft employee. Specific technology requirements vary by platform.

To achieve Master certification, candidates must fulfill the following training requirements:

• Attendance of required sessions

• Successful completion of all in-class (written and lab) exams

• Successful completion of qualification lab exam

and there is some more info on Christian Bolton's Blog about Master and Architect cert.

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/christian/archive/2008/06/06/the-microsoft-certified-master-certification-just-announced.aspx

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/15/2008)

The prerequisites make some sense, but it needs to have some way to verify those items and test the skills.

Since it's training courses and lab work (rather than just an exam) I would guess that the credentials of the candidate get checked by someone at MS when the candidate applies.

Right now, my main concern with this is if its only going to be offered in the USA (like the certified architect) or if there's any chance of getting the training offered down in my corner of the world. I know a few people interested, but not interested enough to travel to do it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • If you get the MCP newsletter, there is information in there incuding a few links. This is basically the ranger program opened up to anyone with the skills/time/money. It does sound like something I'd enjoy doing, but the chances are effectively nil because it's really not aimed at individuals.

I believe that they are planning to expand it to 3 or 4 sites over the next year, English-speaking only though. You might have to pull some MVP strings to get it in SA though 🙂

• matt stockham (7/15/2008)

If you get the MCP newsletter, there is information in there incuding a few links. This is basically the ranger program opened up to anyone with the skills/time/money.

From what I understand, it's supposed to be something between the Ranger (aka Certified Architect: Databases) and the MCITP exams.

You might have to pull some MVP strings to get it in SA though 🙂

I fully intend to do just that. 😀

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Whats your views on the cost?

Nigel Moore
    ======================

• Too expensive.

I can understand why. Instructors don't come cheap and it it's 5 different instructors over a couple weeks, that is going to cost. Problem is, it's priced curently in a way that most independent consultants (who would probably want this a lot) may not be able to afford it.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply