Microsoft Certified Master

• I don't know all of the requirements, but I know a couple of them.

1. The test center must be highly secure. Most centers don't have enough staff to actively monitor test takers. The MCM exams must be actively monitored and have extra security checks in place (like fingerprinting and checking that your pockets are empty).

2. The infrastructure must be wholly owned by Prometric. Many of the test centers are franchises operating under Prometric's name. to be considered highly secure, the testing infrastructure must be wholly owned by Prometric and not by the franchisee.

I know there are also requirements regarding regular security audits and having no failures in the audits, but I don't know the details of that requirement.

Needless to say, it requires a considerable investment from Prometric to get a testing center up to standards for the MCM exam.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• I live in Croatia. London is 1.5h of flight away, and there are acceptable flight prices.

• Vedran Kesegic (12/10/2012)

I just started to learn for MCM certificate. Videos are really inspiring, packed with information and insights, really refreshing.

4 videos watched, 1000 to go 🙂

I hope to be ready in about six months.

Six months may be a bit on the short side if you have just starting watching the MCM videos and find them really inspiring:w00t: - as Paul keeps saying at the start of each video, they do not cover the breadth of knowledge needed for the exam.

Based on my experience you'd need to be able to fly-past an MCITP-level exam without a blink. That would indicate that you may be ready to have a go at the Knowledge Exam. The Lab exam is harder still.

Back to the MCM videos, you should be able to recreate them on the fly for a friend (co-worker, whatever). I've found that teaching the subject to someone else (who is interested!) is a good way to fill in your own gaps in the understanding of each subject. And there are quite a few subjects that the MCM exams cover!...

Good luck - as you prepare for the MCM, also go download the free videos from previous PASS years, as well as SQL Bits. There are some real gems in there!

Cheers,

JohnA

MCM: SQL2008

• I must admit, JohnA, You scared me a little :w00t:

My average score in exams that led me to MCITP DBA 2008 and MCITP Developer for SQL 2008 was 941 (i had maximum score of 1000 on one, and very high scores on the others). All passed from the first attempt. Also I do teach colleagues once every month and it really is helpful to learn something better, forces me to clarify things in my mind. Learning is a real joy for me, especially when I can apply that knowledge (and I can - in my daily work).

6 months I reserved for just the knowledge exam, and I don't expect to pass it from the first attempt. Maybe second or third if I'll have the money. I also have a vary small child, so learning time can start at approx midnight and sleeping suffers.

Thank you for the materials.

Unfortunately, I was not attending PASS 2011, so I can't download them for free - maybe you can help?

• I've interviewed people with high scores in MCTS/MCITP exams and was unimpressed with their actual knowledge (I hope we understand what the real issue is) 😉

PASS videos you can probably find from as far back as 2006 - do not dismiss the old ones, many are still very relevant and well-made.

The other day I came across 'advanced recovery' by Bob Ward (PASS 2006). it is a blast:cool: (hex-editor + dumpfiles). They don't make them like this anymore:hehe:

SQLBits you can find videos right from the start - some are very good indeed.

Also try downloading TechEd videos, there are loads of them for SQL/BI.

Not free - PluralSight hosts several tutorials from the SQLSkills team - all very well made indeed.

I was lucky enough to see them in the flesh back in May in London - if you could afford to attend IE1 and/or IE2 this year I would recommend it unreservedly. MCM-level.:-)

Cheers,

JohnA

• SQLCharger (12/14/2012)

I've interviewed people with high scores in MCTS/MCITP exams and was unimpressed with their actual knowledge (I hope we understand what the real issue is) 😉

Only two reasons come to my mind: you are a "hard to impress" person (perfectionist) or they cheated on exams 🙂

Maybe you are expecting MCM's knowledge from non-MCMs, comparing everybody to yourself ?

It's like you have a person with Ph.D. which doesn't have a clue about his/hers thesis - it can happen, but very unlikely (if we rule-out the cheating).

I believe there is a statistical correlation between scores/certificates and the knowledge (doesn't mean that uncertified people don't have a knowledge, it's just probability stuff). Otherwise certificate would not have real purpose or value, and Microsoft could turn off the certificate programs with peace. As in every statistics, there are cases dissipating from the main curve of expectancy.

(Un)fortunately I had to learn for my certificates and scores, spent many hours, months and years reading various articles and documentation, had over a decade (11 years precisely) of experience in "real life", teaching others, and then finally decided to certificate that knowledge. Not very easy path, but I'm naturally very curious, like to learn, learn deep and in detail (hence my addin is called sqlxdetails.com) and I would not do that if it is not joy for me. The real value for me is knowledge, not a certificate. I see certificates as a mean to give myself a new learning goal and to test my knowledge. Now the goal is very very high - MCM.

Takes a lot of courage just to try. 🙂

• Vedran Kesegic (12/15/2012)

...or they cheated on exams 🙂

..exactly;-)

If you really did fly past both MCITPs (dev and admin) then you may be ready to give the Knowledge Exam a try.:cool:

Cheers,

JohnA

• It seems that Bob Beauchemin's MCM video on authentication and authorization is corrupted:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/gg429823.aspx

I can't watch it in any browser or player. It plays for one minute, stalls, then stops/crashes. The same happens if I play the video from the middle or any other position.

It didn't happen on any other MCM video I watched.

Does anyone have a version that can be watched?

I would really appreciate it.

• The embedded one doesn't work for me either, but downloading the WMV from the download link below does. Did you try downloading it?

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Paul was first to inform me the links below embedded video work. I was so used to watch embedded videos that I overlooked the links below which work. The problem is just with embedded video. Thanks!

• Vedran Kesegic (12/15/2012)

SQLCharger (12/14/2012)

I've interviewed people with high scores in MCTS/MCITP exams and was unimpressed with their actual knowledge (I hope we understand what the real issue is) 😉

Only two reasons come to my mind: you are a "hard to impress" person (perfectionist) or they cheated on exams 🙂

Maybe you are expecting MCM's knowledge from non-MCMs, comparing everybody to yourself ?

It's like you have a person with Ph.D. which doesn't have a clue about his/hers thesis - it can happen, but very unlikely (if we rule-out the cheating).

I believe there is a statistical correlation between scores/certificates and the knowledge (doesn't mean that uncertified people don't have a knowledge, it's just probability stuff). Otherwise certificate would not have real purpose or value, and Microsoft could turn off the certificate programs with peace. As in every statistics, there are cases dissipating from the main curve of expectancy.

(Un)fortunately I had to learn for my certificates and scores, spent many hours, months and years reading various articles and documentation, had over a decade (11 years precisely) of experience in "real life", teaching others, and then finally decided to certificate that knowledge. Not very easy path, but I'm naturally very curious, like to learn, learn deep and in detail (hence my addin is called sqlxdetails.com) and I would not do that if it is not joy for me. The real value for me is knowledge, not a certificate. I see certificates as a mean to give myself a new learning goal and to test my knowledge. Now the goal is very very high - MCM.

Takes a lot of courage just to try. 🙂

I've run into the same problem MANY times. I'll add a 3rd possible reason... unlike you, they don't have any real experience (even if they have time on the job)... they only know what they've been taught by the course material to pass the exam.

That's the real problem with some (NOT all) folks that have certs. Even the MS Press Books say that you should have experience before you take a cert exam. It IS possible, however, to pass the exams with only the "experience" that book has to offer and is one of the reasons why I generally cover up any alphabet soup after a person's name whether it be for MS certs or degrees. I'll find out what I want to know about someone during an interview (or casual conversation) or two. Heh... like I found out the Phd in Mathematics that my boss hired as a Technical Lead didn't know how to solve for "X" in the simple conversion 1416 = X10 without having to work it out on paper.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff,

Maybe you're right - purely memorising stuff from prep books can give an artificially-high score that won't translate to hands-on abilities.

At least the Knowledge exam is less prone to such a book-bias. If you haven't had real-life experience you are unlikely to pass (still theoretically possible though, since it is multiple-choice).

Cheers,

JohnA

• Prometric are no longer involved in the lab exams, you have to sit them from home using a Lync client and remote proctoring. Thats a signiificant change (for the better exam experience wise, for the worse cost wise!)

Worth mentioning here in case not everyone is aware.

Best wishes

• Paul Brewer (2/3/2013)Thats a signiificant change (for the better exam experience wise, for the worse cost wise!)

Hi Paul,

that's correct in partial! You are right, Prometric will never do the lab tests and you have to do it with your own equipment at home. The costs are "moderate".

I have to retake it because I failed with 55% at my first try! :crying:

I will retake it at 20th of February at home.

Microsoft has charged 1.950,00 US$ but a few days ago i got the following mail from Microsoft:

Hello Uwe,

We will be issuing a refund for your recent purchase in the amount of $500. The refund is being issued as a result of lower pricing due to the recent move of exams from Prometric to Microsoft.

Please allow 1 to 2 billing cycles for the credit to appear on your statement. Please let us know if you have any questions/concerns.

From my point of view the "doing the exam at home" has GREAT benefits for freelancers and consultants (especially in Europe):

- the exam starts at 5:30 pm (i can work for 8 hrs for the customers and don't loose money!)

- the exam ends at 11:30 pm (so I can sleep for another 6 hrs before I start working)

- the "real" costs are.1.450,00 US$ for the lab which is much less expensive as the lab test with prometric (I had payed 1.450,00 €!). I got all my money back from Prometric because of the technical desasters while the tests took place.

- Maybe it's like a "feel good situation" to do the lab at home where - just my opinion - you don't feel stressed because you know your hardware, coffee is available, some fruits and you don't have to have a break.

For me the real benefit is that the 1.950,00 US$ seems to be much cheaper than 1.450,00 € because of no missing income AND no travel costs and hotel costs!

I hope that now at 20th of February I will pass. I like challenges but now it's my second try and now I really WANT to pass :). I did my recertification for MCSA and MCSE for training and hope that my knowledge is deep enough to pass the MCM Lab test; I believe it is. I do my "personal" training by writting my blog and answering as much as possible in the msdn-forums - this gave me a real boost because I have to take a much deeper dive into the problem than before - seems to be a good recommendation for "learning".

Best to all candidates which are in the same situation as me. As soon as - and IF - i've passed I will share my experiences here with all others (as I did up to 88-970).

Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    MVP - Data Platform (2013 - ...)
    my blog: http://www.sqlmaster.de (german only!)

• Wonderful, so not only do I have to fly to Europe when/if I need to write another lab, I need to take a laptop that can handle the Lync client and is easy to work on for hours at a time, and I potentially have to pay for internet access. 🙁

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 223 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply