Microsoft Killing off SQL Server 7.0

• Microsoft announced recently in the public newsgroups that a list of products will be removed from its download site and removed from the sales channel. Among some of the products removed will be SQL Server 7.0, Windows 98, some Office 2000 versions, Internet Explorer 5.5, and Visual Studio 6 SP3 and SP5. First, it's important to state that these products will still be supported but will no longer be sold due to the Sun Microsystems lawsuit settlement. The settlement states that Microsoft products with Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM) by Sept. 30, 2004. So why are they doing this so early? Some say it's an attempt to get users to upgrade off of the old releases of SQL Server sooner than later. So what do you think? Post your opinion here.

To see the original email, see the following message:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/previewFrame.asp?ICP=msdn&sLCID=us&sgroupURL=microsoft.public.msdn.general&sMessageID=%253C%25239VYfvcvDHA.2304@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl%253E

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

• I dont think it is to try customers to upgrade because the products are still supported. I think it is to let customers not buy old versions anymore but to force them into buying newer version.

But then again: Isn't it so that you are allowed to use an older version when you buy the newer version?

• I seem to remember an undertaking from microsoft that they would not withdraw a version of SQL Server until the next two versions were released .. e.g. not drop 7 until Yukon is released. I know they'll still support it but that's not the same if you have an application to deploy or you want to expand an enterprise application to a new site .. I think SQL 7 should continue to be available. Interesting list of products - smacks of forcing upgrades to me.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• The bottom line is that MS are trying to force users to upgrade to newer versions, and as usual they are going about it in the usual MS not so diplomatic fashion!

• Basically they are pulling them off the market. Microsoft is supporting them, just not selling them.

That's their perogative. With Yukon on the horizon, .NET being available for a year, etc, would you, as a consultant, really recommend that a client buy SQL 7 instead of SQL 2000? Or Windows 98 instead of XP? Would you tell a client that he would be better off with VB6 rather than .NET?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• quote:

Basically they are pulling them off the market. Microsoft is supporting them, just not selling them.

That's their perogative. With Yukon on the horizon, .NET being available for a year, etc, would you, as a consultant, really recommend that a client buy SQL 7 instead of SQL 2000? Or Windows 98 instead of XP? Would you tell a client that he would be better off with VB6 rather than .NET?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Patrick

Would you, as a consultant, tell your costumers that they will be better with Office 2003 if they already have Office 2000?

* Noel

• Although I like MS products, Microsoft has never been one to quickly accept a court ruling except where it benefits them. MS has been struggling with the upgrade cycle for a few years now, especially on Office.

I would look at this as MS taking advantage of the situation to dump older product. It leverages the lawsuit for customer-focused advertising, taking the blame away from them for forcing this upgrade. It's a win-win situation for them -- making lemons (the lawsuit loss) into lemonade.

Joe Johnson

NETDIO,LLC.

Edited by - johnsonj on 12/12/2003 06:47:01 AM

Joe Johnson
    NETDIO,LLC.

• noeld, I did not say that they already had SQL 7; I said that as a consultant I would not recommend that they BUY SQL 7.

And, no, if the customer has MS Office 2000 they do not need MS Office 2003.

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Since SQL Server 7.0 has reached the 5 year mark, it's about time they take it off the shelves. Why should anyone buy this product anymore? Ok, if you already have SQL 7.0 in your environment, fine... use it. But I see no need to run out and buy a fresh, clean copy of SQL Server 7.0. SQL Server 2000 is a much better solution when you look at the two products side by side. And if you are buying a product that requires SQL 7.0, use SQL 2000 w/ 7.0 compatibility mode. They are continuing to support SQL 7.0 which is good. 5 computer years is a pretty significant number... No pot shots at Microsoft from me about this decision.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply