[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] timeout expired (#0).

• Hi All,

I have MS Access 2000 application connected through odbc to a sqlserver database. The sql server runs on windows 2000 server. They run on 2 different computers and etablish connection with windows authentication in LAN.

When I try to open and update the database, then I receive a following message [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] timeout expired (#0).

If I delete my account and add the username again, then I can update the database. It Works a while

So I close the application and wait some hours. I open again and try to update, then I get the error again. It seems that the rights for updating the database do not remain. I can open and read the data. But not update

Can anyones figure out what are wrong with my sql server or OS

Regards

- Loi -   

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Check if your primary keys in Access is lost.

Regards,

Anders Dæmroen
    epsilon.no

• I ran into this type of scenario before.

Are you using the same access database (shared on a server) and being used by multiple people?

It's what I was doing and I ended up having to copy the database down to each seperate machine and create a DSN for that machine (which stored the PW to the database in it as well so my users were never prompted).

I'm sure there is a cleaner way of doing this, but hopefully my solution will point you to a better one.

• Don't know if this is relevant but I had major problems with a SQL database connected to access after the SQL server database grew to be very substantial in size.

What the problem was is access had difficult negotiating itself against such a large database without some kind of help in terms of indexes.

When I put in a couple of key ones it was not a problem. That database now has a table with over 22 million rows!

Chris

• Access on its own runs into problems if it grows to 1GB.

How are you connecting to the SQL Server?

What is the security mode on SQL Server? Windows only or mixed?

Anything in the events logs of either computer?

Jim

Kindest Regards,

Jim

• We are running our Application on Access with Backend in SQL Server since past 4 years now(there are some reasons/ features we need from access and we still use it). Initially we faced same problem and after dignose we implement all what thgamble1 posted earlier.

I would suggest you to follow thgamble1. Also check if your Access database Migrated in SQL Server and if there are any table containing columns with spaces in their name like [Full name] or so, you should change them on backend (SQL Server 2000) and fix it on Access code, forms and queries and in reports. I hope my this advice will work well

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply