Migrate SQL 2000 to 2008

• What is the performance gain when we upgrade sql server 2000 to sql server 2008

apart from the new approaches like cdc, cte ,....(big long list)........

Here will i be gained in performance? (some thing: Query fetching will be faster)

• yuvipoy (3/3/2014)

What is the performance gain when we upgrade sql server 2000 to sql server 2008

apart from the new approaches like cdc, cte ,....(big long list)........

Here will i be gained in performance? (some thing: Query fetching will be faster)

Definitely. It makes administration much efficient and simpler. BI Stack is huge plus.

And performance wise too, there are lot of tuning options too ..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.04.overview.aspx

--

SQLBuddy

• One big thing would be to move to a stable x64 platform. That was an add-on in SQL 2000, but in SQL2K8 you can easily use more memory, which should help. Also, troubleshooting and diagnostics, not to mention more efficient backup/restore.

In terms of specific improvements, they would be workload dependent.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/3/2014)

One big thing would be to move to a stable x64 platform. That was an add-on in SQL 2000, but in SQL2K8 you can easily use more memory, which should help. Also, troubleshooting and diagnostics, not to mention more efficient backup/restore.

In terms of specific improvements, they would be workload dependent.

Thanks Steve!

Actually our code base is with 32 bit version, so we can not go for 64 for sometime.

Our database size is around 20GB(@ present in sql 2000) will keep the records for 1 month and remove it on cycle base.

Will the insert command will be faster in sql server 2008 compare to 2000, since our main goal was to insert as much record as possible.

We have set 1.5 GB of RAM for sql server for SQL 2000 rest of the RAM is used for application, we are using Windows 2003 server 32 bit.

• Are you doing an inplace upgrade or getting a new server for SQL2008 and migrating the dbs to it? If your SQL2000 server is old and the new one is newer you might see a performance gain. However, if you are going to have to stay 32 bit you are not going to be able to easily take advantage of more memory.

Honestly... about the only way to know is to get another server, move a copy of the db over to it and run some queries on the old and the new to get a feel for what it will do. When you move to SQL2008 rebuild all of your indexes and make sure you run a DBCC UPDATEUSAGE (0) on the db.

I have moved a LOT of dbs from SQL2000 to 2008 and have found some queries are way, way faster and some dont change at all. Of course I my SQL2000 servers are older and not much memory and the SQL2008 are newer and have 48 gig of memory so I would expect most queries to run faster. Another thing to look at is take the long running queries in SQl2008 and see if the optimizer suggests any new indexes. I have found the INCLUDE column feature iN SQL2008 gives you more index options.

• Plan to get a new server for SQL2008 and migrating the dbs to it.

Main concern over the migration is performance improvement.

We are using 4gb of RAM for the current client, 1.5 GB of RAM is configrure to use SQL server.

what is the suggested memory for sql server 2008 32 bit.

Thanks!

• At minimum get 6 gig of memory and let SQL Server use its max for 32 bit version of 2 gig. Alternatively you can look into the AWE and PAE settings to allow SQLServer 32 bit to use more than the 2 gig limit. However, you'd have to get more memory in your server too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply