Migrating databases

• Hi guys

What would be the best method of migrating databases from one server to another?

I was thinking, seeing that the db's ain't that large, expdp and impdp should be sufficient?

Regards

• As you said it is side by side migration, In this approach backup and restore will be a good choice.

In SQL Server 2008 we have new copy database option, which is also a better option.

But we need to have backups at safer side.

• This is Oracle, not SQL. The reason why backup and restore (RMAN) won't work is because we are upgrading to 11g from 9i.

Thus I think expdp and impdp will be the best and easiest solution

• impdp/expdp doesn't exist in oracle 9? Imp/exp does

• @RuanK: You probably have misunderstanding on 'Working with Oracle' section. We discuss Oracle issues here if they are related to SQL Server as well e.g. Linked Server. We don't discuss core Oracle Issues here 'Migrating from Oracle 9i to Oracle 11g'.

Please visit Oracle Forums for more information.

• I'm so sorry 🙂

I was under the impression I could post issues regarding Oracle as well 🙂

Hi Jo, yes I know, luckily imp and exp are backward compatible (ie. 11g can use it) 🙂

• Also have a look at Quest for SSC alike oracle forums

• Jo Pattyn (11/29/2011)

Also have a look at Quest for SSC alike oracle forums

Nice Pointer Jo 😉

• erwinluke (12/24/2011)

Many ways are present to move or copy a database from one server to another server using SQL server tools. Even so, as my experience the best way is that back up the database in old server and restore it in the destination server.

Really? Migrating from Oracle 9i to Oracle 11g "using SQL server tools"? 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (12/26/2011)

erwinluke (12/24/2011)

Many ways are present to move or copy a database from one server to another server using SQL server tools. Even so, as my experience the best way is that back up the database in old server and restore it in the destination server.

Really? Migrating from Oracle 9i to Oracle 11g "using SQL server tools"? 😀

Nope... with 'proofreading service' :hehe:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply