migrating reporting Services 2005 database over to 2008 r2

• Please advise

Can you restore the 2005 reporting services database over to SQL 2008 r2. I have tried it and all seems to be working has anyone encounted any issues or know of anything that would cause any problems in the future if I implement it this way.

Are there any syntax, schemas, or any object change in the db from 2005 to 2008 r2.

Please please assist

I would really appreciate it.

• Hello

Does anybody have any info for me :ermm: :crying:

• Never did / heard of this.

The only way to confirm is to retest everything... which you have to do in any migration anyways...

• Ther are significant schema changes in the Report Server database between SQL 2005 and SQL 2008. By doing this restore you are putting your system outside of Microsoft support. Your should restore the SQL 2008 version of the Reporting Services database and migrate all your objects from SQL 2005.

A very good way to deal with a SSRS migration is to use the free RS Scripter tool available from sqldbatips.com. It allows you to script out your SQL 2005 objects and script them into SSRS 2008. It can take care of most of the syntax changes between the two version of SQL, but as always you should test that everything is working OK.

Before doing all of this with Production reports, as always try it out on a test system so that you understand what RS Scripter is doing before you put your production system at risk.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Thanks a lot, will def do that, unfortunately dont have a test envitroment whereby I can test the following scnario. But if there are schema changes between the two versions might as well script and migrate over.

Thanks again a lot

• Hi

I actually had to some of this today.

The restore didn't work due to above mentioned schema changes.

You can do the in place upgrade and the backup \ restore.

For now, edit the report, save the RDL and upload.

Cheers

Jannie

• Well I know it will have to be changed, though I restored the db's over to SQL 2008 restored the encryption key. Had to delete on from the Key table as there can only be one Key. and everything seems to be working. Reports server web page can be access, reports are displaying. Probably would give problems in the future if there are significant changes as stated above.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply