Migrating SQL Mail to SQL Server 2005

• Hi

We have SQL Mail feature enabled on a SQL 2000 instance and now we are planning to migrate that instance to SQL Server 2005.

Could anyone please tell the steps required to accomplish this so that all the jobs and other objects that make use of SQL mail can function without any problems?

Thank you,

Yours

SQLBuddy.

• Use the new feature for 2005 its called database mail .

Click the sql agent and ensure to select the option to enable this.

Thats it..set up your email server and do test your be good to go.

• Hi Tracey,

Thank you very much for your reply.

But I have a lot of code that uses SQL Mail features. So I just want to use SQL Mail under the legacy node. Could you please tell me what steps should I take to use the legacy SQL Mail in SQL Server 2005?

Thanks,

Yours

SQLBuddy

• You can use SQL Mail in both SQL 2005 and SQL 2008. It is deprecated and may not exist in the next SQL version but is still supported in the current ones. The process for setting it up is much the same as in SQL 2000 - Books Online (BOL) will guide you through the minor differences.

The FineBuild process on CodePlex has a version of sp_send_dbmail you can install in SQL 2000. It is just a wrapper for xp_sendmail but it allows you to recode your routines on SQL 2000 to use the new syntax, which can save you time when you migrate.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• You can still use SQL Mail in 2005. There is legacy support for it. When I did my converstion from 2K to 2K5, I actually found it easier to convert all my DTS packages over to DBMail. It was nice not having to install some outdated version of Outlook to get things working.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply