Migration from Dev to QA

• I am having my database created in dev environment and want to move it to QA. is there any way other than back up and restoring where we can have the same database structure, I want to have only structure not data.

Thanks

• Yes. 
    You can script out the database and tables as a create statement and run on your QA environment, 

Right-Click on your database, Tasks, Generate Scripts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Oh yes. Tons to talk about here.

First up, get your database code into source control just the same as your application code. This gives you the ability to better control what you're deploying and how you're deploying it. Then, you need to focus on if you're going to use a state-based or migrations-based approach to moving the scripts. State base compares two states, dev to qa, source control to qa, and arrives a script. Migrations uses the idea of a manifst, these are the scripts that must be run and the order to run them in, to then move from one state to the next. These are both easiest done using additional tools, some free, some 3rd party.

For a lot more detail on this, I'd recommend my book (free), and the resources here.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks every one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply