migration of sqlserver20005 to oracle10g

• hi all

i want to migrate the database from sqlserver2005 to oracle 10g. I have migrated the tables,indexes,views,sequences,triggers through swisssql tool. now i want to migrate the stored procedures, we have 320 stored procedures. can any one tell me how to migrate that one.

thanks in advance.

aswin

• double post;

continued with suggestions Here:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic625801-1291-1.aspx

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi,

When you migrate your PL/SQL code from Oracle to SQL Server, it would be good re-design the objects. coz There are features suipported in Oracle are not available in SQL Server and vice versa.

EX: Oracle you can use ref curors but you dont have similar in SQL Server. SQL Server gives lot of flexibility interms of retuning the resultsets to application.

Like this there are several things are not common or the things which you are doing in PL/SQL can be better handled in T-SQL.

So you need to take time to go thru each and every object and convert. Before this you need to have complete grip on T-SQL and PL/SQL to get the best out of it.

Thanks -- Vj

http://dotnetvj.blogspot.com

http://oravj.blogspot.com

• Hi Everyone,

I had sucessfully migrated(tables with data) from sqlserver2005 to oralce10g. now i am getting the error.

in oracle10g,after executing the below query::

>>select count(*) from policy;

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

can any one help me on this, very urgent

thanks in advance

rock

• rockingadmin (2/10/2009)

Hi Everyone,

I had sucessfully migrated(tables with data) from sqlserver2005 to oralce10g. now i am getting the error.

in oracle10g,after executing the below query::

>>select count(*) from policy;

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

can any one help me on this, very urgent

thanks in advance

rock

This is a duplicate post... check the other instance of the same question.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hi

What are you expecting of this query??

select count(*) from policy;

Thanks -- Vijaya Kadiyala

http://dotnetvj.blogspot.com

• Vijaya Kadiyala (2/11/2009)

Hi

What are you expecting of this query??

select count(*) from policy;

Thanks -- Vijaya Kadiyala

http://dotnetvj.blogspot.com[/quote%5D

... to count rows on policy table? :doze:

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • [font="Verdana"]I'm wondering whether:

Maybe the SQL Server table got created under a schema? In which case schema.table would the the correct form.

Maybe the SQL Server table got created with the case preserved, and it was called "policy" in SQL Server. In which case to select from it in Oracle, you would need to put the double quotes around the name and use the exact case.

Maybe the user doesn't have rights to see the table, in which case it may not even look like it exists?

Maybe the conversion failed for that table?

... who knows.

[/font]

• you can use oracle migration workbech for converting sql server 2005 databases to oracle. the tool is very good and will change appx 60-70 % of database schema into oracle. there will be small issues related to some of the stored procedures which are having XML funtions in it. Also, the select * or select columnlist queries are not supported in oracle.

• 4DJ**** (2/17/2009)

you can use oracle migration workbech for converting sql server 2005 databases to oracle. the tool is very good and will change appx 60-70 % of database schema into oracle. there will be small issues related to some of the stored procedures which are having XML funtions in it. Also, the select * or select columnlist queries are not supported in oracle.

:w00t: small issues? experience says you will have to rewrite from scratch everything that is more complex than "select * from table" 😀 ... same with triggers, only very simple code survives migration.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply