Mirror Failover Issue

• I hope this is the correct place to post this, though it's a combined VS and SQL question...

I have a database set up with (high security mode - no witness) mirroring. I have a web-based application (actually, web-services; SOA-based) written in VS2010 using the Enterprise Library database tools.

I used the "server=AServer;Failover Partner=BServer" syntax in my connection string.

What I find, at least from my development machine, is that when I fail the database from the AServer to the BServer, it takes about 2 minutes before the connection actually works. When I fail the database from the BServer to the AServer, it works nearly immediately.

It DOES eventually work, and once BServer get's "activated" it works very well - quickly, and without issue, so general routing doesn't seem to be the problem - ports are open.

Any thoughts as to why the "primary-to-partner" direction would be so slow?

Thanks,

Jim

• First, I now noticed the "High Availability" forum...how can I get this thread moved over there?

Next...doing some more research...

Had a thought that this was perhaps being caused by connection pooling. First attempt was to catch the exception and issue a System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.ClearAllPools() call when I catch it.

No better.

Second thought was to set "Pooling=false" in my connection string.

Still no better.

Using Wireshark in combination with my testing environment, I see the following:

- Get my web app running - observe good traffic to AServer.

- Issue the manual database failover command (Fail from AServer to BServer)

-- Observe TCP socket(s) close IMMEDIATELY (while no web requests are being made)

- Issue a new web request

-- Observe NO TCP TRAFFIC trapped, but exception thrown in code.

- Issue another new web request.

-- Observe TCP TRAFFIC between my machine and the AServer. NO attempts seen to the BServer.

- Issue multiple web requests over the next few minutes.

-- Eventually, a request will result in traffic FIRST to AServer, then BServer - successful call.

-- Subsequently, requests ONLY go to BServer

- Issue the manual database failover command (Fail from BServer to AServer)

-- Observe TCP socket(s) close IMMEDIATELY (while no web requests are being made)

- Issue a new web request

-- Observe NO TCP TRAFFIC trapped, but exception thrown in code.

- Issue another new web request.

-- Observe IMMEDIATE TCP connection to AServer - successful call.

Thoughts?

• Hi Jim,

There are 2 points to notice here

1. The time it takes to failover the Db from A to B

2. The time it takes for the application to get redirected from A to B

At which point are you observing the delay ?

Is the failover happening immediately but the application redirection is taking more time ?

Or the failover itself is taking more time from A to B ?

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• Good question.

I am using the manual mirror failover command (button) from the SSMS user interface.

The partner database is available immediately (or, at least, as quickly as I can do something to test it). It is recognized as PRINCIPAL in the interface immediately.

It appears to be my app that is not sensing the failover quickly.

Jim

• Is the "application Redirection to B getting Slowed Down" is happening always or you observed it just once or twice ?

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• It is entirely consistent, at least from my development machine. I have not yet tested it from our "production" web server environment (but the SQLs are the production servers).

Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply