Mirror Logins

• Hi,

Have successfully configured Mirroring in our test environment and am currently thinking about copying/mirroring the logins from primray to secondary server.

I know that SSIS has a Login transfer option, but as the secondary databases will be in recovering mode it is difficult to mirror their logins. Or will that happen as part of the general mirroring?

Had though about using the EXEC sp_help_revlogin command and copy the script across, ready for running in a DR situation.

How can I do this and should I be considering another option? Have spent quite some time on Google but cannot find what I am after.

Thanks

Colin

• Colin Betteley (2/24/2011)

but as the secondary databases will be in recovering mode it is difficult to mirror their logins. Or will that happen as part of the general mirroring?

the recovery state of the databases does not matter, you can use the SSIS transfer logins task or the SP_Help_Revlogin procedure. There will be nothing further to do database wise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• OK Have used the SSIS, in NON mirroring mode. The login appears on the secondary server as a server login, with red arrow pointing downwards. But it does not appear against the actual Database.

There seems to be something missing?

• Colin Betteley (2/24/2011)

The login appears on the secondary server as a server login, with red arrow pointing downwards.

that is because the login is created as a disabled login, this is a standard action

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Logins are created at server level, master database holds them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply