Mirroring Error

• I have set up mirroring between two instances on the same server.

However, here is the error i face when i configure mirroring and try to start it :

TITLE: Database Properties

------------------------------

An error occurred while starting mirroring.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Alter failed for Database '....'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1600.1+((KJ_RTM).100402-1540+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Alter+Database&LinkId=20476

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

The server network address "TCP://.............:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 1418)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1600&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=1418&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Is it because of some problem with the ports i have specified for the endpoints ?

• You might want to check that your servers can communicate over that port and aren't being blocked by a firewall. Telnet is great for doing that.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Everything that needs to be checked for that error is listed here: Troubleshooting Database Mirroring Error 1418

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Thank you !

• if you problem solved, plesae post that...

did you have problem with port number?

• Yup,

Firewall Issues. Contacted the Local IT and he confirmed it.

• you can also execute the following (from a command prompt) in case you want to confirm \ or rule out port access restrictions in the near future

Telnet 'hostname_on_which_sqlserver_resides' 'portno_sqlserver_is_listenign_on'

The command listed above will fail with an error if a firewall prevents connection, otherwise it will succeed and you will get black command window which can then be closed.

• That's already covered in the post I linked to. Also covered in that post is an explanation for why using telnet is not sufficient. If telnet succeeds, that only means that the port is open and something is listening on it. It doesn't verify that your intended target is what's listening on it. Best advice is to use the checklist in that post rather thn providing 1 or 2 pieces of the puzzle at a time.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• ok got that, Thanks Robert.

• Robert.

and I would like to add that your blog on this issue is a excellent source of information, step by step and covering every aspect of troubleshooting. Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply