Mirroring Reversal

• I'm just looking for clarification or confirmation on something I'm working on. I currently have software accessing a DB that I set up. This DB is currently mirrored, however I need to now move the software service from the original (Principle) location to the mirrored location.

At this point, I would assume I could disable mirroring on the Principle then restore the mirrored database from RESTORE query with norecovery, then from there restart mirroring on the server in the opposite direction?

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Steve

• You would need to fail over to the mirrored database in order to make this one as principal i think.

Jonathan Bernardez Bernardez

• I figured I'd fail-over if I wanted services to continue to run on the Principle server, but can you confirm that is the case when using 'Fail-over'? I'm not sure what the does to the state of each database. Something I can likely find on my own.

• Have you got a witness configured ?

• Ok just a bit of digging and it looks like the failover is the way to go:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186348(v=sql.105).aspx

My question at this point is, how does this affect any services that would have been referencing this database. I ask because, even though I am going to be stopping the software services prior to the failover, what happens when I bring them back up? Do I have to ensure it's always done sequentially? Or if I were to bring the services back again AND THEN fail the database back over, would I run into any issues?

Thanks again!

Steve

• jonysuise (10/17/2013)

Have you got a witness configured ?

Sorry, no, I am not using a witness server in this instance.

• Any specific reason to point your app to mirrored DB ?

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• We were testing a DRP location, by where the software data went from a flat file data to SQL. I want to fail the software and the DB back to the original location.

Steve

• Steve-0 (10/17/2013)

Ok just a bit of digging and it looks like the failover is the way to go:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186348(v=sql.105).aspx

My question at this point is, how does this affect any services that would have been referencing this database. I ask because, even though I am going to be stopping the software services prior to the failover, what happens when I bring them back up? Do I have to ensure it's always done sequentially? Or if I were to bring the services back again AND THEN fail the database back over, would I run into any issues?

Thanks again!

Steve

Usually this can be configured in the connection string of your app.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175484.aspx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply