!!! MISSING .mdf File

• Hi

I have sql server 2005 instance which is rarely used. It has 5 databases on it. I was checking that instance and saw that one database was not coming online. Right clicking on that db and checking sql server logs told me that sql server could not find the .mdf file. This db has one .mdf and one .log file.

Checking the folder where the files are located showed that the log file was there but not the .mdf file.

The mdf file is no where to be seen anywhere in the hard disk. WEIRD to say the least.;)

"Keep Trying"

• The only explanation I can come up with is that the .mdf was removed while the engine wasn't running.

• Not that weird, I'm with Jason... somebody got rid of it.

Well... not all are bad news, you can take this situation as an opportunity to test your backup/recover strategy 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Thanks Jason , Paul. That some body got rid of it is the only conclusion that i cud come to. I do have backups so recovering the db is not an issue. But as i said its just weird.

"Keep Trying"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply