Mistakenly Deleted

• i was trying to delete one of my test databases and mistakenly deleted the production, or rather clicked delete on the production db. i realized my mistake almost immediately, but could not stop the action, luckily people were logged on and i had not selected the option to close all connections and so it failed.

later, i noticed some disparity in some data and i'm not sure if the problem was caused by my mistake or not.

Does anyone have an idea how the delete works? does it start from tables without user connections on them or does it scan the entire database first before deleting it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!![font="Comic Sans MS"]:cool:[/font]

• I assume you Right-clicked on a database in Management studio and chose the "Delete" option in the menu.

This DROPS a database - which is a single action on the entire database. It cannot delete parts of the data or drop individual objects. If it failed, the database is all still there.

• Thanks Micheal,

i got such a fright. i'll investigate the cause of disparity now that i know i didn't cause it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!![font="Comic Sans MS"]:cool:[/font]

• Michael Earl (4/17/2008)

I assume you Right-clicked on a database in Management studio and chose the "Delete" option in the menu.

This DROPS a database - which is a single action on the entire database. It cannot delete parts of the data or drop individual objects. If it failed, the database is all still there.

Michael is right, just to add one thing, an easy way to see what Management Studio was doing is to try to repeat the action (in this case delete a database), and on the dialog window that pops up click on the "script" button.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply