Mixed 32 64 bit clustering

• Hi all,

Is it possible to cluster windows 32 bit 2000 enterprise & a 64 bit window 2003 enterprise.

On top of this can you have a 32bit 2005 clustered with 64 bit sql 2005.

• Not sure if I understand your question correct, but if you're asking if it's possible to have 32- bit on one node and 64-bit on the other node, the answer would be that's not possible.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• yep thats right. I have done a bit more R&D and think it is possible but a bit tricky.

Why do you think it is not possible?

• NO way it is possible to have a cluster with one node as 32 bit and other as 64 bit.

remember that the SQL clustering depends on the windows clustering and you cannot cluster 2 nodes on different bit systems (32 and 64). If it is a possibility I would like to know how ?

• Also , as far as I know the O.S. versions (win 2K and win2k3 cannot be different). You need to understand the basics of clustering -- It means that the O.S. has to be exactly same. Also , then what License would you buy -- 32 bit or 64 bit ?

• apologises, i would indeed use 2003 windows on nodes, both enterprise edition.

The sql licensing are covered as it will only be a passive server. Windows 2003, i'm presuming you need a 32bit & 64 bit which we allready have.

I think this may help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875423

I think it is possible but will be a pain in the arse!

• Andrew,

still not sure if i understand you correctly, but here is what I understand is possible.

You can have two Windows 2003 64-bit server nodes and cluster two SQL server 32-bit. It's ot possible to have 32 -bit on one node and 64-bit on the other. Not for the OS and also not with SQL server. The Kb article is just stating this, that cluster aware 32-bit application can run on a 64-bit Windows installation.

Markus 

• One more question. Why would you want to install 32-bit SQL server if you already have a 64-bit OS ? There's not price difference for the licenses and 64-bit has a much better memory management.

Markus

• I agree with Markus and stand by my statement --

you cannot cluster 2 nodes -- one having 32 bit OS and otehr having 64 bit OS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply