Model Database wont attach

• Hi Guys

I have detached the system databases and attached the master database but the models database won’t get attached.

Get the following error

A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - The pipe has been ended.)

FYI

- Shared memory is enabled

- Tried doing this as admin:sqlinstance

Appreciate your feedback ASAP

Cheers

Jude

• jude.pieries (5/20/2012)

I have detached the system databases and attached the master database but the models database won’t get attached.

Msg 7940, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

System databases master, model, msdb, and tempdb cannot be detached.

• Thanks for the response Suresh

Let me clear out the mismatch of words, I want to move the system database from one drive to another, the MASTER db was moved with no problem but when attempting to attach the Model database I ran into the mentioned issue.

( detaching of the modal and msdb - support.microsoft.com/kb/224071)

Please let me know if you have seen this happening before.

Cheers

Jude

• what commands did you use to move the system databases? also is it SQL 2000/2005/2008/2008R2

• jude.pieries (5/21/2012)

Thanks for the response Suresh

Let me clear out the mismatch of words, I want to move the system database from one drive to another, the MASTER db was moved with no problem but when attempting to attach the Model database I ran into the mentioned issue.

( detaching of the modal and msdb - support.microsoft.com/kb/224071)

Please let me know if you have seen this happening before.

Cheers

Jude

Check the Windows Event Log. What error message your find there for the failure of SQL Server startup

I hope you have good backup. You may need to rebuild the master database and restore the system DBs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply