Modeling Hierarchy

• I am looking into two possible design alternatives to model an item hierarchy. Here is the hierarchy in real world ->

Item -> GroupLevel1 -> GroupLevel2 -> GroupLevel3 -> GroupLevel4 -> GroupLevel5, where GroupLevel5 is at the top of the

hierarchy and item is at the lowest level and each -> points to the parent at that level.

The simple rule is that each item should have a parent GroupLevel1ID which in turn have GroupLevel2ID etc,. Each GroupLevelx

has different attributes, hence is a different entity.

Option 1:

---------

Option 1 model looks like a star schema with the Item entity at the center, with the GroupLevel IDs of the hierarchy forming

its PK. Then the GroupLevel entities are related in a parent child relationship.

Item Entity

============

ItemID   |

GroupLevel1ID (FK) |

GroupLevel2ID (FK) |---- PK

GroupLevel3ID (FK) |

GroupLevel4ID (FK) |

GroupLevel5ID (FK) |

---------------

ItemName  |

Desc   |

ActiveDate  | ---- Other attributes

Vendor   |

etc,.   |

Each GroupLevelx is modeled as the following (simplified with X for 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 levels). There are 5 different entities

like this, with different optional attributes.

GroupLevelX

===========

GroupLevelxID  |

ParentGroupLevelID | ---- PK

------------------------

GroupLevelName  |

Desc   | --- Other attributes

Other Stuff  |

Option 2:

------------

Here all entities including the item are related in a parent - child relationship.

Item Entity

============

ItemID   |

GroupLevel1ID (FK) |---- PK

---------------

ItemName  |

Desc   |

ActiveDate  | ---- Other attributes

Vendor   |

etc,.   |

GroupLevelX

===========

GroupLevelxID  |

ParentGroupLevelID | ---- PK

------------------------

GroupLevelName  |

Desc   | --- Other attributes

Other Stuff  |

Now the question is which one is better?

Here are different scenarios:

If I want to find all the items under a GroupLevel5 ID, with option 1, I can do that from the item table itself. With option

2, I will have drill down each entity in the hierarchy, ie may be 4 or 5 joins. So Option 1 is the winner here.

If I want to change parent for items belonging to an ID at Group Level1, say X to Y. Option 1 requires changing the PK (and

clustered Index. The same is true for the Option 2. So both are the same here.

If I want to change the parent for an ID at an intermediate level in the hierarchy, with option 1, I have to change the item

as well as the intermediate level entity. With option 2, I just have to do at the intermediate level only, since item entity

is related only to its parent. So, option 2 is the winner here.

There may be other operations too. What do you guys think? Which one do you use? Any feedback is appreciated..

• This might also have merrit for you but INSERTS and UPDATES can be a nightmare especially if you have to widen a nest. Many folks including Joe Celko prefer this method. We are testing a blended soltuion of this and Parent Child for a project also.

http://www.codeproject.com/database/nestedsets.asp

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply