Modifying fillfactor without rebuilding the index

• Hi,

Is there any way to modify the fillfactor of an index without rebuilding it(DBCC DBREINDEX/dropping and recreating).

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

• Unfortunately, You can't.

• That really wouldn't make any sense.  Fill factor on an index is not maintained, it is a setting that only has any affect at the time an index is built/rebuilt.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Thanks for your answers but this is what I have in mind :

If I found out that the fillfactor for my index is not proper and the table/index is heavilly used; and I am in 24x7 environment. So if I drop and recreate the index in the middle of the operation the users go for a toss. So shouldn't there be a online way (opposed to the offline droping and recreating) to adjust the fillfactor?

Regards.

• "So if I drop and recreate the index in the middle of the operation the users go for a toss."

Your create index command will be blocked if the index is being used by user transactions.

The user activites will be blocked by recreating index statemnet until indexes are recreated.

• In Yukon there will be.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Thank you all for your answers. I guess I will just have to wait for yukon then.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply