Monitoring MountPoints using PerfMon

• Now here is a good one that as a DBA has me at a loss. I can go on forever as to why we use them, but MountPoints are quickly becoming the standard for building SQL Servers. We currently have several clustered SQL Servers running Windows 2003 Enterprise Server and SQL Server 2005. We have several monitors from the SQL side to monitor our database growth patterns, but we also monitor the available disk space through Performance Monitor (PerfMon) on the logical disks created.

Let me explain further. To monitor a MountPoint , a LogicalDisk performance counter is setup to monitor the performance counter of Free Megabytes for all drive letters and MountPoints. This monitor can alert us in the event that a set threshold of available disk space is violated. great tool for monitoring Data and Log volumes. You can monitor drives letter E:\ as well as Mount Volume E:\MountPoint, until a recent failover. All of the drive letters are still available, but all of the Mount Volumes are now listed as HarddiskVolume# (i.e. E:\ is still fine, but E:\MountPoint can now be listed as HarddiskVolume#). Why would the labels change from the Drive path to the HardDiskVolume#?

I have confirmed that this is not related to services not running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• any update on this?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply