Monitoring stored procedure usage

• We'd like to add monitoring of stored procedures to audit/log the following:

- Stored procedure name

- Execution time

- Parameters used

- Date/time executed

Please would anyone let me know if there are any "clever" ways of doing this besides adding logging code to each stored procedure.

If adding code is the only answer is there any way to get the parameters via a system function when the stored procedure executes?

At the moment the only option we can see is to use the following:

/*======= Audit Params ====================*/

DECLARE @starttime datetime

DECLARE @name sysname

DECLARE @params nvarchar(max)

DECLARE @duration int

SET @starttime = getdate()

and the insert into the tracking table at the end of the procedure:

SET @name = 'usp_REPORT_Portfolio_IP_Liquidity_S'

SET @params = '@DataChannelID = ' + ISNULL(CAST(@DataChannelID as nvarchar(max)), 'NULL') + '|' + '@EffectiveDate = ' + ISNULL(CONVERT(nvarchar(30), @EffectiveDate, 121), 'NULL') + '|' + '@PortfolioClassificationCode = ' + ISNULL(CAST(@PortfolioClassificationCode as nvarchar(max)), 'NULL') + '|' + '@InstrumentClassificationCode = ' + ISNULL(CAST(@InstrumentClassificationCode as nvarchar(max)), 'NULL')

SET @duration = DATEDIFF(ms, @starttime, GETDATE())

EXECUTE SQLAuditing.dbo.InsertTrackProcedure @name, @params, @duration

• csales (12/4/2008)

We'd like to add monitoring of stored procedures to audit/log the following:

- Stored procedure name

- Execution time

- Parameters used

- Date/time executed

Please would anyone let me know if there are any "clever" ways of doing this besides adding logging code to each stored procedure.

If adding code is the only answer is there any way to get the parameters via a system function when the stored procedure executes?

At the moment the only option we can see is to use the following:

DECLARE @starttime datetime

DECLARE @name sysname

DECLARE @params nvarchar(max)

DECLARE @duration int

SET @starttime = getdate()

and the insert into the tracking table at the end of the procedure:

SET @name = 'usp_REPORT_Portfolio_IP_Liquidity_S'

SET @params = '@DataChannelID = ' + ISNULL(CAST(@DataChannelID as nvarchar(max)), 'NULL') + '|' + '@EffectiveDate = ' + ISNULL(CONVERT(nvarchar(30), @EffectiveDate, 121), 'NULL') + '|' + '@PortfolioClassificationCode = ' + ISNULL(CAST(@PortfolioClassificationCode as nvarchar(max)), 'NULL') + '|' + '@InstrumentClassificationCode = ' + ISNULL(CAST(@InstrumentClassificationCode as nvarchar(max)), 'NULL')

SET @duration = DATEDIFF(ms, @starttime, GETDATE())

EXECUTE SQLAuditing.dbo.InsertTrackProcedure @name, @params, @duration

SQL Profiler

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• Sure - I know it can do be done using SQLProfiler - but whats the impact of having that running all the time in production?

• csales (12/4/2008)

Sure - I know it can do be done using SQLProfiler - but whats the impact of having that running all the time in production?

Oh really,

One thing we can do but that can require aroung 2- 3 hours.

We can create a log table and define the logic to get the required information inside the sp(s).

For this we are required to script out all the stored procedure and by using any UI utility we can add our extra statements before

"Create Procedure"

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• Sorrry but I'm not sure I follow you? Can you provide more detail?

• csales (12/4/2008)

Sorrry but I'm not sure I follow you? Can you provide more detail?

for example:

here is the sp

Create procedure procedurename

as

select col1, col2 from tablename

now to log this sp , make entry in the log table and write down that statement before and after the execution of the sp like

Create procedure procedurename

as

select col1, col2 from tablename

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• Is that any different from what I originally posted?

• csales (12/4/2008)

Is that any different from what I originally posted?

Yes as i prefer to perform these task by the use of a function or another stored procedure, and the log table must be global for all the related databases

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• I agree - would prefer to have everything wrapped up in a function.

But the big question is how do you programmatically get to stored procedure parameters without hard coding them? Can you show me an example?

• In addition to Profiler, if you want to get real time information on queries that are currently in cache, you can get aggregate performance information from sys.dm_exec_query_stats. You can get information about stuff as it is executing from sys.dm_exec_requests. Then you can combine that information with either sys.dm_exec_sql_text to get the TSQL or sys.dm_exec_query_plan to see the execution plan of the query.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply