Monitoring Tools

• Hi,

We are evaluating some monitoring tools for our sql server environment having a mix of 2008, 2005 and 2000 sql servers. We are interested in one of these Quest Spotlight or Idera diagnostic manager or Sql Sentry Performance Manager. I had also tested the Microsoft System control operations manager tool (SCOM). But even after installing the SQL DM Packs on SCOM I did not find it as good as the other 3.

While discussing this with our network administrator he mentioned that they have bought the scom software recently to manage the IT network. He suggested that there are third party vendors who have SQL Management packs that can be hooked into SCOM and used for sql server.

I went through different forums but did not find anyone using third party sql management packs for scom. My question is has anyone ever heard about third party SQL packs and used them with scom? Was it as good as quest, idera or sql sentry?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Apurva

• Apurva (4/29/2010)

Quest Spotlight or Idera diagnostic manager

These products are primarily diagnostic products!

If you have SCOM installed I would use currently available or create your own managements packs and use this software to monitor the servers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I'm not aware of third party SCOM management packs for SQL Server. Microsoft has a management pack for SQL Server. We use it to do most of our SQL Monitoring. While we do find that monitoring servers and the SQL Server system with SCOM works well, more tactical monitoring of the SQL Server internals, especially query behavior, is better handled by 3rd party products. I would push either Idera's Diagnostic Manager or Confio's Ignite for that procedure based monitoring.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply