Monthly Trend Calculation

• Hi,

appreciate it very much if you can guide me, I have a table below where I want to calculate the Monthy trend on the total employees added to a domain security group.

When_Added_To_Sec_Group | UserID

|

2/10/2015 3:33:26 AM | User1

1/10/2015 12:10:30 PM | User2

24/11/2015 2:45:31 PM | User3

20/11/2015 12:35:42 PM | User4

18/11/2015 4:28:54 AM | User5

9/12/2015 1:16:27 AM | User6

I run SQL query hoping to get an output similar to the table below where the count of employees will be added for each month then add the monthly total on the succeeding month. For example:

October count is 2 employees and November count is 3 employees so the calculation should be 2 + 3 = 5 which 5 should appear on the row where November 2015 is.

Same with December where the previous month total is 5 plus 1 employee added for December so the calculation will be 2 + 3 + 1 = 6 which 6 should appear on the row where December 2015 is.

Monthly_Trend | UserID_Count

|

10-2015 | 2

11-2015 | 5

12-2015 | 6

I tried the SQL query below but it seems not showing the output that I wanted.

select Count(distinct UserID) AS UserID_Count, convert(varchar(6), WhenAddedToGroup, 112) as Monthly_Trend

from SecGroupMembership

group by convert(varchar(6), WhenAddedToGroup, 112)

the output for the above query is

Monthly_Trend | UserID_Count

|

201510 | 2

2015 11 | 3

201512 | 1

I hope my description makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help!

• I have been drinking a few beers. Here is my answer but I'd advise for one of the other gents on here to give you a higher performing one as I fear mine is not very efficient. :hehe: CREATE TABLE #Temp (When_Added_To_Sec_Group DATE , UserID INT)

INSERT #Temp Values ('10/2/2015',1), ('10/1/2015',2), ('11/24/2015',3),

('11/20/2015',4), ('11/18/2015',5), ('12/9/2015',6);

WITH Cnt AS(

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT t.UserID) AS Value, MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group) As Mnth

FROM #Temp t

GROUP BY MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group)

)

SELECT Mnth, Value ,

(SELECT SUM(t2.Value) AS Value

FROM Cnt T2

WHERE T2.Mnth <= T1.Mnth) AS RunningTotal

FROM Cnt T1

DROP TABLE #Temp

***SQL born on date Spring 2013:-)

• Using the setup from thomas.

Be aware that you havent specifed what happens with year boundaries. So if you need to do it on a yearly basis also then its a minor change to this.

As thomas also said - this probably isnt all that efficient either 😀

CREATE TABLE #Temp (When_Added_To_Sec_Group DATE , UserID INT)

WITH Cnt AS(

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT t.UserID) AS Value, MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group) As Mnth, Year(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group) As yr

FROM #Temp t

GROUP BY MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group), Year(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group)

)

SELECT yr, Mnth, Value, sum(value) over (order by yr, mnth)

from cnt

DROP TABLE #Temp

• Hi,

thanks for your quick reply, when I tried the query on my actual table there discrepancy on the Running Total....for example I queried the Total distinct UserID by Count(Distinct UserID) and the result is 495...however on your query syntax it is great that every month it shows the running total however the overall total is equal to 525 which is higher than the suppose 495.

WITH Cnt AS(

select Count(Distinct t.UserID) AS Entitled_Users, MONTH(t.WhenAddedToGroup) As Mnth

from Membership] t

where FirstName not like '%test%' and LastName not like '%test%' and Account_Disabled not like 'YES' and Obj_Type not like 'NON_USER' and Region not like 'EMEA' and Region not like 'CCLA' and SecGroup IN ('SecurityGroup1', 'SecurityGroup2', 'SecurityGroup3', 'SecurityGroup4') and current_member_of_SecGroup like 'yes' and UserID is not null and WhenAddedToGroup is not null

group by MONTH(t.WhenAddedToGroup)

)

SELECT Mnth, Entitled_Users,

(SELECT SUM(t2.Entitled_Users) AS Entitled_Users

FROM Cnt T2

FROM Cnt T1

could it be that it also count the test account that was added to the security group even though I excluded them on the where clause?This query is for Asia Pacific Region and there are some accounts that are from outside Asia Pacific that are also members of SecurityGroup but I excluded them on the where clause as well...I am not sure if that affects the running total....

thanks again for your guidance/help.

• This works as well and probably faster than my first post. I like the windows function approach as well. Probably many ways to skin this cat. I'm waiting for some one to show a Tally Table Method. It seems you can solve almost all problems with a Tally Table..LOL:-D

WITH Cnt AS(

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT t.UserID) AS Value, MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group) As Mnth

FROM #Temp t

GROUP BY MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group)

)

SELECT t1.Mnth, SUM(t2.Value)

FROM Cnt t1

INNER JOIN Cnt t2 ON T2.Mnth <= T1.Mnth

GROUP BY t1.Mnth

• danny.delgado 65386 (12/10/2015)

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply, when I tried the query on my actual table there discrepancy on the Running Total....for example I queried the Total distinct UserID by Count(Distinct UserID) and the result is 495...however on your query syntax it is great that every month it shows the running total however the overall total is equal to 525 which is higher than the suppose 495.

WITH Cnt AS(

select Count(Distinct t.UserID) AS Entitled_Users, MONTH(t.WhenAddedToGroup) As Mnth

from Membership] t

where FirstName not like '%test%' and LastName not like '%test%' and Account_Disabled not like 'YES' and Obj_Type not like 'NON_USER' and Region not like 'EMEA' and Region not like 'CCLA' and SecGroup IN ('SecurityGroup1', 'SecurityGroup2', 'SecurityGroup3', 'SecurityGroup4') and current_member_of_SecGroup like 'yes' and UserID is not null and WhenAddedToGroup is not null

group by MONTH(t.WhenAddedToGroup)

)

SELECT Mnth, Entitled_Users,

(SELECT SUM(t2.Entitled_Users) AS Entitled_Users

FROM Cnt T2

FROM Cnt T1

could it be that it also count the test account that was added to the security group even though I excluded them on the where clause?This query is for Asia Pacific Region and there are some accounts that are from outside Asia Pacific that are also members of SecurityGroup but I excluded them on the where clause as well...I am not sure if that affects the running total....

thanks again for your guidance/help.

You get 495 from this? But 525 on the other query?

WITH Cnt AS(

select Count(Distinct t.UserID) AS Entitled_Users

from Membership] t

)

SELECT * FROM Cnt

• Hi Thomas,

I found out the reason why the total is 525 using the count distinct of SQL, it is because there are USERID's that are a member of multiple security groups (i.e. SecuriyGroup1, SecurityGroup2)....The reason mine is 495 is because I used the Count Distinct of SSRS Report Builder and it seems report builder count distinct only count the USERID once even if the USERID is a member of multiple security groups (i.e SecurityGroup1, SecurityGroup2)...

it seems that yours is more accurate than mine...I am not sure if that makes sense...

• Hi,

One more question please, is there a way to combine Month Year in one column/row ?

YrMnth | Running_Total

Jan-2015 | 100

Feb-2015 | 135

Mar-2015 | 240

Thanks again in advance.

• Did i miss it, and this is in a report?

I tweaked your query to turn it into a stored procedure, just to make it easier to call in SSRS.

ALTER PROC [dbo].[SummarizeEvents]

AS

BEGIN

WITH Cnt AS(

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT t.UserID) AS Value, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group),MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group),1) As FirstOfMonth

FROM SomeEvent t

GROUP BY DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group),MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group),1)

)

SELECT FirstOfMonth, Value ,

(SELECT SUM(t2.Value) AS Value

FROM Cnt T2

WHERE T2.FirstOfMonth <= T1.FirstOfMonth) AS RunningTotal

FROM Cnt T1

END

Then in SSRS, I set the format of the date to "Jan 2000" (MMM yyyy).

• I think its 2008 so I don't think Datefromparts is kosher here.

• Oops... oh well, gotta leave something for the OP to do!!!

• thanks Guys for all your help, I very much appreciate it. Have a wonderful weekend & God Bless you all!

• You don't have a "When Removed" column?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Here is with year and month

WITH Cnt AS(

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT t.UserID) AS Value, CONVERT(CHAR(6),t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group, 112) As YrMnth

FROM #Temp t

GROUP BY CONVERT(CHAR(6),t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group, 112)

)

SELECT t1.YrMnth, SUM(t2.Value)

FROM Cnt t1

INNER JOIN Cnt t2 ON T2.YrMnth <= T1.YrMnth

GROUP BY t1.YrMnth

• Hi,

Seeking your help/guidance again please as my SQL skill is not that advance...I trying to combine or join the two SQL query below (I guess the first one is called CTE)...

WITH Cnt AS (

select Count(Distinct UserID) as Entitled_Users, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(t.WhenAddedToGroup),MONTH(t.WhenAddedToGroup),1) as When_Added_To_Group

from [GLOBAL].[dbo].[HVDMembership] t

where FirstName not like '%test%' and LastName not like '%test%' and FirstName not like '%user%' and LastName not like '%user%' and Account_Disabled not like 'YES' and Obj_Type not like 'NON_USER' and Region not like 'EMEA' and Region not like 'CCLA' and SecGroup IN ('SecurityGroup1', 'SecurityGroup2', 'SecurityGroup3', 'SecurityGroup4')and curr_member like 'yes' and ATTUID is not null and WhenAddedToGroup is not null

Group By DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(t.WhenAddedToGroup),MONTH(t.WhenAddedToGroup),1)

)

Select When_Added_To_Group, Entitled_Users, (Select SUM(t2.Entitled_Users) as Entitled_Users

from Cnt T2

where T2.When_Added_To_Group <=T1.When_Added_To_Group) as Running_Total

from Cnt T1

second SQL query that I want to join or combine to the CTE above...

SELECT c.EventType, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(c.Event_Date),MONTH(c.Event_Date),1) as Concurrent_Date, MAX(c.MAX_Concurrent_Users) as Peak_Concurrent_Users, c.Hub

FROM vNon_Concurrent_Users c

where c.EventType like 'Broker_Daily_Max_Users' and c.Hub like 'TOK Hub'

group by DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(c.Event_Date),MONTH(c.Event_Date),1), c.Hub, c.EventType

I tried to join concurrent_Date and When_Added_To_Group but no luck... Output of the second SQL query are:

EventType|Concurrent_Date|Peak_Concurrent_Users|Hub

Max_User|1/12/2015 12:00:00AM|112|Hub1

Max_User|1/11/2015 12:00:00AM|124|Hub1

Max_User|1/10/2015 12:00:00AM|109|Hub1

Max_User|1/09/2015 12:00:00AM|135|Hub1

Thanks again for your help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply