More Alternative Energy

• This vertical wind turbine is very cool. I first saw an interesting article at OpenSourceEnergy.com, but then lost it. I did find this press release, however, and it was intriguing. Especially now that I'm moving a little further away from civilization.

Not that I'm terribly worried about power. If things are that unstable, we'd probably just get a generator hooked up to the house to provide backup, but being able to reduce our power needs is an interesting hobby of mine. Not to the point where I'm doing, but I am trying to learn more.

After all, I make my living from computers and computers need power. And my lifestyle to a large extend requires power. Computers, wood working equipment, lights, etc. have made me more of a dependent on a modern life than I expected. So in anticipation of potentially being even further away at some point and wanting to lower my income requirements, I'd really love to be able to be less dependent on the local companies.

So I'm looking around and wind is interesting because we get lots in Colorado. And with 35 acres, I'd have lots of space. The noise and size of a horizontal windmill has me concerned, but this vertical one seems like it would fit nicely near my house. I'm actually hoping to one day build a small wood shop, separate building, and drive the whole thing on solar and wind power and heat with with ground source heat pumps.

Steve Jones

• I saw something like this years ago in an Australian television program.

I believe that these windmills are called Darrius windmills.

The BBC played part of George Bush's state of the union address this morning so I would guess these gadgets are going to become pretty significant in the US.

• Steve,

Stick with the wind turbine.  The generator still requires fuel.  We in Florida know this all too well. 

• Lots of things are energy hogs, given the way we use them (instant on TVs and other appliances).

If it produces heat, and you're not using it for cooking or warmth, you're wasting energy. Let's take computers.

We use 120VAC on this continent because AC is easy to change to other voltages and DC is more dangerous. But inside our computers the various voltages are almost(?) all DC. I've often been struck by the idea that if you were out in the middle of somewhere, had wind turbines charging batteries of the right voltages, you could feed those voltages right to the motherboard, disk drives, etc. and by skipping the heat-wasting power supply you could power a computer with significantly less energy.

Or not. The monitor could still make it a waste of time.

• Great Article!    I have always been fascinated by alternative energy, especially alternative ways of generating electricity.   I had not seen this wind method before.

We have heated with wood for 30 years.   And I have made my living as a computer analyst for most of that time.   It is a great combination - juxtaposition of high-tech and low-tech, sitting at a desk and working in the woods, using my head and using my back.

• I too was interested in this article. A company in Tennessee can been talking about coming out with a rooftop wind power generator for the home a couple years ago, but nothing became of it (at least not yet..). It was supposedly going to produce enough energy for an entire home with minimum wind.

As for generating heat, I am presently considering the the purchase of a soap stone wood burning stove to reduce the dependence on propane fuel. I recently found out about soap stone and it's ability to retain the heat long after the fire has died down. http://www.woodstove.com The only problem to this type of heat is that one normally gets warm three times; once when you cut wood, once when you split it, and then finally when you burn it. 🙂

• Please excuse me if this is too off-topic or if this post is deemed to be inappropriate. I am planning to relocate to the Castle Rock (CO) area in a few months.

My present (IT) client is willing to relocate me, but I still have a few questions.

1) While home shopping I found the area growing and almost suburban (what I want).

Was my impression inaccurate?

2) In general, how is the local/state market for (MS) SQL/Reporting/Development?

3) Also considering getting a Toyota Prius. Good in the mountains, other experiences?

4) Any additional advice and/or suggestions?

Always look forward to getting the latest from SQLServerCentral.com

• Robert, I'll send a private message.

• Hi,

Maybe you should consider the Amish.

When I was in the equipment leasing business, we leased lots of wordworking equipment to Amish businesses. They are allowed to hook-up generators in their barns to provide power to equipment. Just not to the house!

I would suggest you look at http://www.lehmans.com/ for alternative energy appliances. I bought an oil lamp that is equivalent to a 60 watt bulb for emergency lighting. Of course, it's also nice once in a while for the "ambiance".

Lots of other sources of non-electric or non-oil appliances out there. Including ovens, furnaces.

Greg H

• Great article, I think a good place to use this idea is Washington, there is a lot of hot air, it could possible eliminate our dependence on oil.

Kindest Regards,

The art of doing mathematics consists in finding that special case which contains all the germs of generality.

• The woodstove is interesting and we've considered that. Get two benefits for the price of one. A wood fire and heat.

The alternative power is interesting to me because I know I'll be using power for a long time. I'm a modern guy and like my computers. So I am interested in low environmental impact ways of generating my own power.

• Wind power you want? Check this website out. I do advertising for this gentleman and I think you might like what he has.

http://www.emarkelectric.com

Thanks,

Mike

• This is the place I meant to post this.

Wind power you want? Check this website out. I do advertising for this gentleman and I think you might like what he has.

http://www.emarkelectric.com

Thanks,

Mike

• Firstly,

I have a campervan that has a Gell-type deep cylce battery and an inverter to convert the DC to AC for Important things like the DVD player and laptop!

I have two solar panels on the roof that supply 5 amps to the battery for charging.

We run a 48 Litre fridge, a 28 litre coolbox and our "home comforts". The battery has never gone flat and the solar panels have exceeded our expectations on their ability to charge battery, when the van is not running)

We seriously looked at obtaining some sort of renewable energy source for the home and went so far as to enquiring as to the process of purchasing "retired" telephone company Exchange batteries.

Then once you add the purchase price of the wind-generator, the inverter/controls etc you are for nearly $23,000 Australian.

That's a big capital expense... apprently you might actually make a profit on your system, if you keep in it in place for some 65 years!

Depending on the utility company that you are connected with too also determines the amopunt of excess power they will buy back from you for the grid and at what rate.

Ie. put in 1 unit of energy back to the grid, get .5 units credited on your bill. The one we are with willl quite happily allow your excess back into the grid, but will give you 0 credits for it on your bill. Even if you managed a 1:1 buy-back arrangement, the capital expense "far, far" outweighs the feeling of good that your doing for the environment.

We haven't given up hope... as is always the case with technology, the price will come down and make it a viable solution, eventually... it just isn't there yet.

Gavin Baumanis

Smith and Wesson. The original point and click device.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply