Move all databases to a new datacenter

• Absolutely yes.

I'll try it and maybe it will be intreresting for some people to know how it goes, so I'll post my results in the next weeks.

Thank you again for your reply.

Kind regards.

Franco

• We have just done this (morning of March 8th) for one of our clients. The original environment was a 2 node cluster running SQL Server 2005 on Windows Server 2003 R2.

About 2 years ago due to stability issues one of the nodes had been disabled. Apart from these differences it's much the same scenario.

The VM was configured by another vendor, we were responsible for SQL.

We didn't even backup and restore the database files, they actually migrated the LUNs from the old server to the new one. At one point there were issues because they kept losing drives, and we almost resorted to a fresh SQL install at the vendors insistence, but the issue was caused by old disk snapshots not being removed.

Once the disk issue was resolved SQL started without any issues and they have been up for a week now with no problems.

Cheers

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• Leo, thank you very much for your contribution.

The only problem may be is that somewhere in the master db there is an information that this was a cluster sql server.

I hope this is not true.

Franco

• Leo.Miller (3/14/2012)

We didn't even backup and restore the database files, they actually migrated the LUNs from the old server to the new one. At one point there were issues because they kept losing drives, and we almost resorted to a fresh SQL install at the vendors insistence, but the issue was caused by old disk snapshots not being removed.

Not sure this is the same as a fresh install and then a replacement (or restore) or master. This I would expect to work, as long as the pathing is the same.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/14/2012)

Leo.Miller (3/14/2012)

Not sure this is the same as a fresh install and then a replacement (or restore) or master. This I would expect to work, as long as the pathing is the same.

Sorry if you misunderstood me. The VM was built and the OS and SQL installed, using the same drive/folder structures as the original build, then the database data drives were moved across to replace those created during the install. This replaced Master, Model, MSDB, TempDB (trivial), and all user databases. So yes, it was a fresh install and replace.

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• My apologies, Leo. I didn't realize you reinstalled SQL and then replaced master.

In that case, it appears this will work, which is good to know.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/14/2012)

trying to replace a non-clustered master with a clustered master, you will have issues.

I'd be curious if this works.

I've done it on 2005 and it works but never 2000 and since it's out of support never likely too

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply