Move BE data from Access 2003 to SQL 2k5

• First, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have a large MS Access database with quite a number of design 'issues' such as non-keyed tables, few (if any) relationships between tables - just repeated/redundant columns in tables, etc.

The question is, should I go through the work of properly normalizing the database structure in Access (the majority of my experience/skill), or move tables to SQL, and then normalize things? I am relatively new to SQL, but I understand normalization - and it ain't here.

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions!

• I've decided to begin normalization in the current Access database, then migrate to SQL. 🙂

• wise decision !

Keep in mind MS has a free downloadable migration assistant for MSAccess to SQLServer 2005/2008 .

Maybe it can even help you in your current situation to see what issues it comes up with.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks for the agreement. Yeah, I tried that route, just to see what it comes up with, but the original is so convoluted I just have to manually trudge through it.

Problem is that it is also in production and being updated regularly 24x5. So, what I think I am going to do is develop the normalized version - include linked tables to the live version - use append queries to append new live data into the new normalized version. Then, once I can ensure that its all good, I will upsize the normalized tables to SQL and develop views to represent the data the way the client is accostomed to 'seeing' it.

Sorry, this wasn't meant to be such an Access focused post! That's just where the problems lie.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply