Move DTS Packages to a Remote Server

• I have created several DTS Packages on my local server that I need to send to a client of mine.

I have no connection to their server. Is there a way to Save DTS Packages, zip them, send them, and then restore them on a remote server?

If no, what are my options. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tygun

• Save them as a "Structured Storage file", which will be a .dts file on your local drive. Zip them, email them, whatever. On the remote machine, right click the "Data Transformation Services" folder in EM and select the "Open Package" item. Browse to your files.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

The Best of SQL Server Central.com 2002 - http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/bestof/

http://www.dkranch.net

• Connections, file paths, exchange profiles, etc. in your package will probably not be valid at the destination. If you know what they should be, disconnected edit can be used to set them, even if the values are not valid for you.

Randy
    Helpdesk: Perhaps Im not the only one that does not know what you are doing. 😉

• Maybe you can also use a tool "DTS Backup" and take a backup and ask your clients to use the same to restore it...Its a pretty good tool.

Cheers!

Arvind

Arvind

• Hi rstone,

wadda you mean with

quote:

disconnected edit

? The "structured storage file" doesn't work for me, because I've to change some settings before importing the DTS Package on the other site.

I've exported the package as Visual Basic File. How can I (re-) import such a file?

• The second to last menu item in the "Package" menu is "Disconnect Edit...". It lets you edit various properties of connections, tasks, and work flow. I sometimes use it to rename a connection name. It can be used to set values that are valid, but the interface chokes on (e.g., parameters in a query not first in the batch).

Perhaps a dynamic properties task would be better for what you need. An "ini" file can be used to set properties.

I'm not aware of any way to re-import a VB program as a dts package.

Randy

• Look for the line

goPackage.SaveToSQLServer

in the VB file. Check Books Online for the full syntax. Be aware that you'll lose the layout of the tasks and any text annotations.

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• quote:

Look for the line

goPackage.SaveToSQLServer

in the VB file. Check Books Online for the full syntax. Be aware that you'll lose the layout of the tasks and any text annotations.

Thanks. I would have never thought to use VB for this. It would not be that difficult to add an UI to set the properties prior to saving or running the package.

Randy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply