Move the source excel files to archieve folder

• Using the below script task I am checking for the excel file existence and upon file existence using the data flow task will load the excel data into sql table. After the data is loaded from one file or however number of excel files present, I want to move those into a archieve folder with date&timestamp to the filenames, Please let me know how I can move those excel files with date&timestamp to the filenames,

any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Math

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime

Imports System.IO

Public Class ScriptMain

Public Sub Main()

If File.Exists(ReadVariable("FileNameVariable").ToString()) Then

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success

Else

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Failure

End If

End Sub

'From Daniel Read's Blog - http://www.developerdotstar.com/community/node/512/

Private Function ReadVariable(ByVal varName As String) As Object

Dim result As Object

Try

Dim vars As Variables

Dts.VariableDispenser.LockForRead(varName)

Dts.VariableDispenser.GetVariables(vars)

Try

result = vars(varName).Value

Catch ex As Exception

Throw ex

Finally

vars.Unlock()

End Try

Catch ex As Exception

Throw ex

End Try

Return result

End Function

End Class

• Just another method>> Why don't you use File System Task to move the file. It is easier that way. Also, what Are you trying to do with the file? Read it, clean it, anything? OR just want to archive it if it is there?

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• Here's what I did so far, struggling with this for the past two days to get it work, any help is greatly appreciated:

I have foreach loop container, inside which there's script task and data flow task, script task checks for the source file existence and then if the file exists it will load the data into the table using the data flow task. Now I added file system task

to the data flow task, i.e Inside foreach loop container added the following:

Script task

|

|

|

|

dataflowtask

|

|

|

|

File system task

so that once the data is loaded using the data flow task, I want

the source files to be moved to the archieve folder and then rename as filename_datetimestamp:

The following are the steps that I followed after adding the File system task:

1. Foreach loop editor:

Enumerator configuration:

Folder: C:\Source

Files: *.xls

Retrieve File Name: Fully qualified

Variable mappings:

New variable:

Name: MyFileValue

Type: string

Value: \File1 9-15.xls

Then added the follow variables:

1. Name: SourcePath

data type: string

Value: C:\Source

2. Name: ArchivePath

data type: string

Value: C:\Source\Archieve

3. FullSourcePathFileName

For this variable: In the properties:

EvalAsExpress: True

Expression: @[User::SourcePath] + @[User::MyFileValue]

4. FullArchivePathFileName

For this variable: In the properties:

EvalAsExpress: True

Expression: @[User::ArchivePath] + SUBSTRING( @[User::MyFileValue] , 1 , FINDSTRING( @[User::MyFileValue],".",1) - 1 ) + "-" + (DT_STR, 2, 1252) Month( @[System::StartTime] )+ (DT_STR, 4, 1252) Year( @[System::StartTime] )+ SUBSTRING( @[User::MyFileValue] , FINDSTRING( @[User::MyFileValue],".",1) , LEN( @[User::MyFileValue] ) )

Then in the Filesystem task editor:

Isdestinationpathvar: True

Destvar: user::FullArchivePathFileName

Overwritedest: False

Oper: Rename File

SourceConn:

Issourcepathvar: True

Sourcevar: User::FullSourcePathFileName

The error I am getting:

[File System Task] Error: An error occurred with the following error message:

"Could not find a part of the path '\\folder1\Source\\folder1\Source\File4 12-10.xls'.".

Sorry for posting such a lenghty one, I wanted to try my best to resolve this issue, before I give up.

Thanks in advance for all your help on this!!!

• Any help will be great!!

• Mh (4/17/2008)

Any help will be great!!

Have you evaluated your expressions so that you can verify the exact path it is trying to hit.

Lucky

• lucky (4/17/2008)

Mh (4/17/2008)

Any help will be great!!

Have you evaluated your expressions so that you can verify the exact path it is trying to hit.

Yes, I did that and it shows the correct path.

• (Sorry for the late reply)

Okay, as far as I am seeing it now, your codes are doing what you are suppose to do right? Now, can you please tell where is your problem? Are you trying to archive your files that is done going into your destination to somewhere else? Please make me clear and we will go from there.

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply