Moving a Database to a new SAN involved in an AlwaysOn Cluster with minimal downtime

• Hi,

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone can help - a new pair of eyes and all that 🙂

I have had a request to move a 2TB database (lets call it DB1) which is involved in a 2-node AlwaysOn Cluster (SQL1 and SQL2) to new flash storage but keeping the databases on the same instances.

I could go down the road of database backups/restores or copying the mdf/ndf files to the new storage but that would mean a long outage during that time.

What I was thinking was to restore a backup of DB1 to SQL1 and SQL2 and calling them DB_2 and keeping then in restoring mode and keep applying logs to them from DB1 to keep them in sync.

Then when I am ready to change over to the new storage I take DB1 out of the AlwaysOn Availability Group on SQL1 and SQL2, apply the last logs to Db_2 on SQL1 and SQL2, take the DB_2 database on SQL1 out of restoring mode and rename it DB1....

But now my issue - how can I rename the DB_2 database on SQL2 to DB1 to allow me to add it back into the AlwaysOn group. I won't be able to rename the database when it is in restoring mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I will be testing in the meantime..

Cheers!

• From what i understand, you seem to have got the ducks in a row. Awesome way to minimize the potential down.

Have you thought of using a powershell script to rape remaining steps. This way you might reduce the time to bring the DB to AG by a few more ticks

- Removing DB1 from AG

- DB1 goes offline to app

- Tack tran log backup off DB1

- DB1 goes offline

- Restoring the DB1 log to DB_2

- Renaming the DB_2 at SQL1,SQL2

- Adding the renamed DB to AG

- More steps ....

There is also the more costly way of doing things

- Introduce 2 new secondary replicas to the AG with DB1

- Failover to a one of the new replicas when time's up

- Remove the two old replicas from the AG and decommission

Hope that made sense.

• Hi Jude,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Appreciated.

My issue will be when I go to rename the DB_2 database on SQL2 to DB1 so I can add it into the AG Group to sync with the newly renamed DB1 on SQL1. I won't be able to rename that database as it will be in RESTORING mode.

I won't have an issue renaming the DB_2 to database to DB1 on SQL1 as this will be the Primary DB.

This is where my logic falls over :angry:

• HI

I might have you'r logic a bit fuzzed up in my head 🙂

Just to clarify

- How do you plan to rename DB_2 to DB1 + restore the latest logs to the new db without a application outage

- Do you plan to have the renamed DB with different physical file names or do you plan to cahnge them ?

• Hi Jude,

There would need to be a small outage during the reply of the final logs but it would be minimal compared to the time of coping across the 2TB database.

I haven't been able to work out a way to rename the restoring copy of the DB_2 on the AlwaysOn Secondary, SQL2 to DB1 to allow it to sync with the DB1 copy on SQL1 :angry:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply