Moving database (backup/restore) from SQL Server 2005 SP2 -> SP3

• Hi,

We want to move a few databases that are currently on a SQL Server 2005 SP2 to a SQL Server 2005 SP3. Making a SQL Backup to disk from the SQL Server 2005 SP2 server and restoring that to the SQL Server 2005 SP3 server works fine but do I need to run some upgrade script after that? I checked the SP3 release notes but I didn't find anything (or maybe I overread..:unsure: )

TIA,

Dave

• No update script that I'm aware of. You could update indexes and/or statistics but I don't believe that'll do much but the obvious. SPs usuallly update executables, dll files and system objects, not user data.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• To my knowledge this works the same way as if you were restoring a 2000 backup, the binary being stored is converted to the new version by the restore process. There's nothing else you have to do.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• No need to run any upgrade scripts.But do test in your test environment before upgrading to SP3 in production to make sure applications are compatible with SP3.

• I don't thing you need to do anything, for me just the backup and restore is enough because you are using the same SQL2005.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply